PZM or Boomed Condensers? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old January 15th, 2005, 11:25 AM   #1
Inner Circle

PZM or Boomed Condensers?

Hello,

I am trying to settle on a 4 mic setup for video work with small acoustic music ensembles.

I have a stereo pair but would like to add a closer mic sound to the mix.

So I have whittled it down to Crown PZM's (30's) or two small diaphragm condensers mounted on booms above the group. (like drum overheads)

The PZM's seems like the easiest to place and keep out of the video frame, but audio quality is important as well.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Tim Polster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2005, 08:51 PM   #2
Mad Scientist

Hi Tim -- Hope this reply is timely...

I'm also curious about the Crown PZM mics. I love the technology but haven't had a chance to audition one yet. So I can't help you there.

Booming is the classical way to go and less expensive if you already have the condenser mics -- so here's a thought, and you've probably already considered this: Depending upon the look and feel of the videos you're producing, consider making the boom mics part of the environment on screen. Technology can look artsy if the stands are black, clean and identical and the cables are routed in an attractive (or non-distracting) manner.

This is of course depending on the scene -- if on stage, it might look simply like equipment and a distraction but if you're mostly close-up and fill the frame with the musicians, the mics would be mostly off-screen or near the top edge. Nowadays, people seem to accept the look of the technology.

Hope this helps.
Kevin Triplett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2005, 10:18 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Hi Kevin.

I spoke with a guy a sweetwater music today and he said to use the boomed condensers instead of the PZM's.

The PZM's work best for the spoken word and are not meant to represent music very well.

So I will go with two mics infront of the group and two over head.

This should cover all of the instruments well.

I am getting a Presonus Firepod 8 channel interface along with a laptop for the audio recording.
Tim Polster is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio