DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   All Things Audio (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/)
-   -   Rode VideoMic on Canon XL2 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-things-audio/37858-rode-videomic-canon-xl2.html)

Ty Ford January 16th, 2005 04:45 PM

Rode VideoMic on Canon XL2

Hi,

With the help of a friend's Canon XL2, I have compared the XL2 mic to the Rode VideoMic.

Stereo versus mono I know, but anyway.....

At a distance of 3 feet, both mics sounded a lot better than I expected. They are still an on camera mic and for serious audio, I'd prefer body mics or boom mics.

The Rode VideoMic is suspension mounted and attaches to the shoe with a nice screwdown wheel. It takes a standard 9VDC battery which is inserted into a cavity in the body.

The Rode VideoMic is more sensitive and has less noise than the Canon. Those two points alone make it a better mic for me. It's obviously more directional than the Canon camera mounted stereo mic. Even though a mono mic, the 1/8" TRS plug has been wired to mono and plugs right in to the stereo mic input on the XL2.

Street price is supposed to be about $150. Nice job.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Bryan Beasleigh January 17th, 2005 01:05 AM

Can I sell my Schoeps?

Ty Ford January 17th, 2005 06:49 AM

<<<-- Originally posted by Bryan Beasleigh : Can I sell my Schoeps? -->>>

Sure Bryan,

I'll buy it for $150!

Regards,

Ty Ford

Mark Fry January 19th, 2005 10:46 AM

Rode vs MKE300

Ty,
From what you posted on Camcorder Info, Rode are pitching the VideoMic against the Sennheiser MKE300 with confidence. Have you had a chance to compare them yourself yet? If so, what do you think?

Also, how big a gap (I'm assuming there is one!) is there between the Rode or MKE300 and "serious" short shotgun mics, such as the AT895 or Senn K6+ME66. Can you give us an idea of what you get, qualitatively, for the extra cost, weight and complexity, please?

The cost difference can be considerable. I was recently quoted a "discounted" price for a K6+ME66 kit (Softie, shock mount, battery powed K6 and short unbalanced lead, so no need for a Beechtek) of about £600! The MKE300 is about £140, and the Rode ought to be less than that (US price is $150 = £80 roughly).

Thanks in advance

David Ennis January 19th, 2005 11:29 AM

Mark, FYI for about $10 any battery powered XLR mic can be adapted down to a 1/8" mini plug for direct insertion into a cam's input jack. (Just in case the cost of a BeachTek was keeping you from considering better mics).

Ty Ford January 19th, 2005 11:37 AM

Re: Rode vs MKE300

<<<-- Originally posted by Mark Fry : Ty,
From what you posted on Camcorder Info, Rode are pitching the VideoMic against the Sennheiser MKE300 with confidence.

+++Well, I'm not certain which mic Rode may be targetting. I doubt they are singling out the MKE 300.+++

Have you had a chance to compare them yourself yet? If so, what do you think?

+++Nope. I don't have one.

Also, how big a gap (I'm assuming there is one!) is there between the Rode or MKE300 and "serious" short shotgun mics, such as the AT895 or Senn K6+ME66. Can you give us an idea of what you get, qualitatively, for the extra cost, weight and complexity, please?

+++Do have an 897, no K6 me66+++

The cost difference can be considerable. I was recently quoted a "discounted" price for a K6+ME66 kit (Softie, shock mount, battery powed K6 and short unbalanced lead, so no need for a Beechtek) of about £600! The MKE300 is about £140, and the Rode ought to be less than that (US price is $150 = £80 roughly).

I've found with mic, you pretty much get what you pay for. Don't know that I'l have time to do a propre comparison with the AT897, but I know the AT897 is no Sennheiser 416.

You have to keep in mind that diaphragm size has a LOT to do with noise specs. All other things being equal, the bigger the diaphragm, the less noise. The smaller diaphragm mini mics (even lavs) are still subject to the laws of physics.

Regards,

Ty Ford