Rode VideoMic on Canon XL2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old January 16th, 2005, 04:45 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Rode VideoMic on Canon XL2

Hi,

With the help of a friend's Canon XL2, I have compared the XL2 mic to the Rode VideoMic.

Stereo versus mono I know, but anyway.....

At a distance of 3 feet, both mics sounded a lot better than I expected. They are still an on camera mic and for serious audio, I'd prefer body mics or boom mics.

The Rode VideoMic is suspension mounted and attaches to the shoe with a nice screwdown wheel. It takes a standard 9VDC battery which is inserted into a cavity in the body.

The Rode VideoMic is more sensitive and has less noise than the Canon. Those two points alone make it a better mic for me. It's obviously more directional than the Canon camera mounted stereo mic. Even though a mono mic, the 1/8" TRS plug has been wired to mono and plugs right in to the stereo mic input on the XL2.

Street price is supposed to be about $150. Nice job.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Ty Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2005, 01:05 AM   #2
Trustee

Can I sell my Schoeps?
Old January 17th, 2005, 06:49 AM   #3
Inner Circle

<<<-- Originally posted by Bryan Beasleigh : Can I sell my Schoeps? -->>>

Sure Bryan,

I'll buy it for $150!

Regards,

Ty Ford
Ty Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2005, 10:46 AM   #4
Major Player

Rode vs MKE300

Ty,
From what you posted on Camcorder Info, Rode are pitching the VideoMic against the Sennheiser MKE300 with confidence. Have you had a chance to compare them yourself yet? If so, what do you think?

Also, how big a gap (I'm assuming there is one!) is there between the Rode or MKE300 and "serious" short shotgun mics, such as the AT895 or Senn K6+ME66. Can you give us an idea of what you get, qualitatively, for the extra cost, weight and complexity, please?

The cost difference can be considerable. I was recently quoted a "discounted" price for a K6+ME66 kit (Softie, shock mount, battery powed K6 and short unbalanced lead, so no need for a Beechtek) of about £600! The MKE300 is about £140, and the Rode ought to be less than that (US price is $150 = £80 roughly).

Thanks in advance
Old January 19th, 2005, 11:29 AM   #5
Fred Retread

Mark, FYI for about $10 any battery powered XLR mic can be adapted down to a 1/8" mini plug for direct insertion into a cam's input jack. (Just in case the cost of a BeachTek was keeping you from considering better mics).
Old January 19th, 2005, 11:37 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Re: Rode vs MKE300

<<<-- Originally posted by Mark Fry : Ty,
From what you posted on Camcorder Info, Rode are pitching the VideoMic against the Sennheiser MKE300 with confidence.

+++Well, I'm not certain which mic Rode may be targetting. I doubt they are singling out the MKE 300.+++

Have you had a chance to compare them yourself yet? If so, what do you think?

+++Nope. I don't have one.

Also, how big a gap (I'm assuming there is one!) is there between the Rode or MKE300 and "serious" short shotgun mics, such as the AT895 or Senn K6+ME66. Can you give us an idea of what you get, qualitatively, for the extra cost, weight and complexity, please?

+++Do have an 897, no K6 me66+++

The cost difference can be considerable. I was recently quoted a "discounted" price for a K6+ME66 kit (Softie, shock mount, battery powed K6 and short unbalanced lead, so no need for a Beechtek) of about £600! The MKE300 is about £140, and the Rode ought to be less than that (US price is $150 = £80 roughly).

I've found with mic, you pretty much get what you pay for. Don't know that I'l have time to do a propre comparison with the AT897, but I know the AT897 is no Sennheiser 416.

You have to keep in mind that diaphragm size has a LOT to do with noise specs. All other things being equal, the bigger the diaphragm, the less noise. The smaller diaphragm mini mics (even lavs) are still subject to the laws of physics.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Ty Ford is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio