H4n and what mic for Canon 7D at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old September 10th, 2009, 11:05 AM   #1
Major Player

H4n and what mic for Canon 7D

I have the H4n Zoom that I've been using with my XH-A1 and HV20 (Syncing in post). I'd like to add a shotgun mic into the mix that can plug into the H4n but have no real idea of where to start looking.

If you were to ask what I'm shooting I'd say parties, interviews and a few solo choir music.
Jason McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2009, 05:28 PM   #2
Inner Circle

To be honest, I couldn't recommend a shotgun for any of thoise applications. Parties and interviews are usually recorded indoors and shotguns don't handle the reflected sounds usually found in a normal non-acoustically conditioned interior. MAYBE for parties but not interviews. And the pickup pattern of a 'gun is way too narrow for a sound source as wide as a choir.
Old September 10th, 2009, 05:34 PM   #3
Major Player

I'm hoping to go the 7D route, and my first stop will be a rode stereo videomate (don't have yet) or the NTG-2 (already have) plugged into the camera. If that doesn't work well I'll try capturing to my Zoom H2. I don't want to have to sync video with an external recorder if I can help it, but I don't know what kind of sound quality the 7D audio circuit produces.
Roger Shealy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2009, 06:23 PM   #4
Major Player

Hmm, for interviews a Lav might work, but a condensor mic sounds like it might be the best as it's more versatile. Maybe a Rode NT3?
Old September 10th, 2009, 07:24 PM   #5
Major Player

I'm 100% with our Professional expert Steve House on this one. I suspect you are now, like we all were once, low on the knowledge totem pole regarding microphones. Lots of good reading and links here. Bon appetit.

My 3 golden rules:

Rule 1, when possible (Make it possible!) get the mic off the camera.
Rule 2, pick the mic for the task - there is not a 1 size fits all here.
Rule 3 get the mic as close to the source of the sound as possible.

From your description you might want a dynamic mic for parties, a hardwired lav for interviews and for a choir, a condensor...or two.

If you HAD to have as close to a one size fits all shotgun as a starter on a budget, I'd 2nd the suggestion of the Rode NTG-2.. or also suggest the Audio Technica AT-875... but neither will not impress you in interiors for sure - for the reasons Steve mentions. But if you plan to buy a working assortment, either is not a bad first purchase for those on a budget. (Who isn't these days)

Chris

ps. check this link: http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-thin...-you-get.html?
Chris Swanberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2009, 11:31 PM   #6
Major Player

You are most definitely right. I'm not smart when it comes to audio and that's why I posted the question. Not sure what to do and how to capture it.
Old September 11th, 2009, 11:44 AM   #7
Major Player

In Japan

Rode NTG-2 180USD
audio-technica mic [AT875] 130USD
RODE Stereo VideoMic 190USD

Which one is recommended as an all around starter. Using the H4n built in mic I can also capture audio. A lav is something for the future, unfortunately not now.
Old September 11th, 2009, 12:14 PM   #8
Major Player

I'd buy the AT-875 and put the saved $50 towards a Shure 57 or 58 (dynamic) which ought to come close to covering a majority of the cost. Look on E-Bay for a SONY ECM-44B/55B or 77B lav (budget about $100 -$150) and you have most of the bases covered (lacking a good condensor cardiod of supercardiod however). Good luck, and please don't take my suggestion to read up here as an insult. There is a ton of good info here and it will help you capture better sound.

Here is an example: http://www.dvcreators.net/microphone-polar-patterns/

Chris
Chris Swanberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2009, 04:49 AM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Swanberg View Post
I'd buy the AT-875 and put the saved $50 towards a Shure 57 or 58 (dynamic) which ought to come close to covering a majority of the cost. Look on E-Bay for a SONY ECM-44B/55B or 77B lav (budget about $100 -$150) and you have most of the bases covered (lacking a good condensor cardiod of supercardiod however). Good luck, and please don't take my suggestion to read up here as an insult. There is a ton of good info here and it will help you capture better sound.

Here is an example: Microphone Polar Patterns - Video Examples to learn from at DVcreators.net

Chris
Not insulting at all. I'm always keen on reading stuff I know nothing about that I NEED to learn. I was just hoping for a 'one mic for all situations' kinda solution. There's obviously more to it than that.
Jason McDonald is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio