Audio Enhancements in Post (for Senn ME2) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old September 10th, 2009, 01:59 PM   #1
New Boot

Audio Enhancements in Post (for Senn ME2)

I'm looking for some tips on how to make the Sennheiser ME2 lav mic sound a little better by tweaking it in post with Premiere Pro CS3. Unfortunately for me, I'm not big into audio so the effects in Premiere mean nothing to me. I can usually find the result that I want by playing with some of the EQ effects, but I really don't know what I'm doing. Hopefully somebody here can share some info on what I can do to give the ME2 a little more depth. Of course the best solution would be to go out and buy a better mic, which I will do at some point, but for now this is what I have so I'm looking for a way to make it work.

Thanks in advance!
Corey Welch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2009, 10:06 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Well, lav mics are designed to not mic up a natural ambience (i.e. room tone or a natural reflection). Only the voice.

So the first two things that can be done is to use a low level room tone (recording taken in the room with no one moving, speaking, anything...) and add a bit of reverb to match the room.

It's difficult. I will say though, that if you're not mixing on monitors in a treated room, the job is much harder to get decent results. And even in a studio with a professional mixer, it's still pretty challenging.
Alex Donkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2009, 08:36 AM   #3
Major Player

Corey, normally the ME2 sounds pretty good, although an aftermarket mic will sound somewhat better.

Can you post a sample of the audio so we can see if it seems "normal" for the ME2?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio