XLR Adpater & Settings at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old January 29th, 2005, 11:44 AM   #1
Major Player

XLR Adpater & Settings

I have a question regarding the best settings for use with an XLR adapter with the camera....

I have a Sign Video XLR PRO plugged into my camera... I've always set the camera to manual at max volume and used the volume controls on the adapter to set the mic input... just wondering if this is the best way of doing it...

What do others do to get the best possible audio?

Regards

Gareth
Gareth Watkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2005, 07:38 PM   #2
Fred Retread

Personally, I have an aversion for cranking anything full open, but that's just me. Other than that, your approach makes sense to me, assuming that your cam has level meters...certainly assures that the input to the camera is not too strong.

I use a BeachTek DXA-8, which has preamps and limiters, with my GL2 so my procedure is a little different.

First I ensure a proper level to the Beachtek, which is only a concern when I take a line from a sound board or use a very hot mic like an AT4073 (which I don't have). The DXA-8 is designed for mics only, so it's up to me to attenuate the signal properly. I use an AT8202 in line attenuator, which is switchable between -10, -20 and -30dB, at the BeachTek end.

Next I turn on mic attenuation in the GL2, which is a menu option. With MIC ATT on, the nominal input (or the maximum--the Canon manual doesn't say which it is, and they don't answer my email) is -35dB. The Beach can't put out more than -38dB, so the GL2's input is protected from overload.

Next I turn up the Beach's gain until its limiter indicators flash frequently. This tells me I have the optimal signal to noise ratio in what's being fed to the GL2.

Finally, it's just a matter of turning the GL2's level controls up until the meters peak comfortably below 0dB. On the GL2, an occasional amber colored meter segment indicates the peaks are hitting just above -12dB.
Old January 31st, 2005, 09:08 AM   #3
Trustee

On a passive adapter like in the original post, I would run the adapter at maximum (or perhaps just 1 notch down) and set the camera's manual controls for an optimum recording level. I think that will give you better noise performance.
Jay Massengill is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio