IRiver 790 Protection at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old January 31st, 2005, 08:30 AM   #1
Regular Crew

IRiver 790 Protection

Hello. I just bought 3 IRiver 790s for my weddings and other events. For the weddings, I would like to protect the 790s like in a pouch/bag/other. I was thinking of buying a 3 x 4" jewelers bag for it. The reason for this is to avoid taping the record button down (to avoid a groom from accidenly stopping the recording). Does anyone else have these concerns and/or how do you protect it at events where you do not have physical control over it?
Brian Burns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2005, 06:52 PM   #2
Major Player

I have an IFP-799, which I think has the same controls. There is a "hold" slider on the bottom which prevents the controls from being changed by mistake--just the function you are looking for. I tried it with record and it worked fine. I would still tape the hold slider in the locked position once it was recording if it were me. Or at least put in the pouch that comes with the unit. Or both.

By the way, what kind of mic. are you using? I have not been able to get good results using an external mic. with this unit unless it had been run through a pre-amp to more or less line level. It sounds great with a line level signal fed to it.
Bill Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2005, 06:53 PM   #3
Major Player

The 790 has a lock switch on the bottom. Slide into lock and you cant do anything eg stop recording or even turn the unit on or off.
iRiver does have a hard plastic case for the 790 as well,
smitty
Jack Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2005, 02:26 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks

Thanks for the input. I'll probably use the hold button and tape that so a groom can't accidenly move it.
Brian Burns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2005, 10:38 PM   #5
Major Player

Bill, I use them with external mics all the time and they sound great! The menu system is a little confusing at first, but soes become easy.I mention that because many have trouble making the mic input selection and then setting record level.(typically 50)
Are you able to setup line in recording then mic input?
smitty
Old February 2nd, 2005, 07:18 AM   #6
Regular Crew

iRiver 799 no mic input?

Jack,

Please elaborate on how you have a mic in direct to the iRiver, since the manufacturer's description (I checked B&H to read the features) specifically claims no mic input, just a line input. Is there a menu switch to set the input for mic level or are you jacking up some gain to make a mic input work at line level?

I'm genuinely interested in the iRiver 799, but I want to understand how you got the mic signal recorded.

Thanks,
Joseph
Joseph Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2005, 08:04 AM   #7
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Jack Smith : Bill, I use them with external mics all the time and they sound great! The menu system is a little confusing at first,

This is an understatement. Then again I mostly use mine for listening to music and only secondarily for recording so maybe I havent used enough to memorize the settings.

I mention that because many have trouble making the mic input selection and then setting record level.(typically 50)
Are you able to setup line in recording then mic input?
smitty -->>>

I have tried a couple of times, manual in hand. I am pretty sure I did everything right. I have tried it with a Sennheiser K6/ME64 alone - a very hot mic, a Rode NT-3 alone , and both mics in through a pre-amp. I found the self noise generated by the Iriver pre-amp too high for my standards when using the mics alone. With external pre-amp providing a line level signal the sound it records is great.

That's why I was inquiring what kind of mic Brian or Jack are using.

By the way, the manual is self contradictory. See the following from page 5-23

"You can select external microphone or
line-in when recording.
Line-In :To record through Line-In
Ext.Mic :To record through an external microphone

-To record from an external microphone,chose the LINE-IN recording mode"

I get the same results either way.

Overall it's great unit. I pity the people with the over priced, over sized, and under functioning Ipods. I just wish I could get better results with a straight mic in.
Bill Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2005, 12:38 AM   #8
Major Player

Basically there are 3 recording modes
voice recording... uses the built in mic
fm recording ... uses fm radio
line in recording... uses the stereo mini jack(this indicates, not the level just the input connection)
There are 4 buttons on the iriver
3 on top,1 on the face
turn the unit on(left button on the top)
push in and hold in the button on the face(HOLD IT LONG ENOUGH)until you see "general" on screen.....if you don't hold long enough just push and hold again.
you see 6 icons on the bottom of the screen
move the button on the face to the right
you see .... general , display , timer,control
at control push the button in you now get
1/fast skip , 2/scan speed,3/voice recording,4/voice auto detect,5/tuner recording,6/line in recording (here you can set 44,100 to 11.025 hz by sliding the button on the face left or right)
by sliding the button up or down you select the kbps(same way to adjust)
to exit this press the left button on top
slide the button on the face down you get
7/line in recording volume(set at about 45 to 50)as a trial
press left button on top again to exit
slide face button down you get
8/line in auto slide button down again
9/line in /ext this is where you set mic input or line level input
you do this by sliding the face button left or right
press the left top button 3 times to exit the menu's and your ready to record.
press the right top button to start recording
sorry about the long post ,I felt I needed the room to make things clear.Hope I did
smitty
Old February 3rd, 2005, 06:23 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Thanks Smitty. This answers my question about the ext mic input and encourages me to buy the iriver 799 when discretionary funds become available.

Joseph
Joseph Lawrence is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio