Looking for on-camera mic + wireless lav (doc work) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old February 13th, 2005, 08:11 PM   #1
Tourist

Looking for on-camera mic + wireless lav (doc work)

Hi,

After emptying my wallet for the camera, shotgun, boom, shockmount, tripod, etc. etc. I'm still finding I want a few more audio tools to round things out.

I'm very happy with the sound of the AT-897 (except it seems quite sensitive to handling noise, even w/the k-tek shockmount on the boom) but I think I'm going to be running into a few situations the next few weeks where I need to get some establishing shots where I just want a nice on-camera mic that does better than the built-in to capture ambient sound.

There also may be less noise than I was expecting at an upcoming shoot and I think I'd like to give a wireless lav a try. If it doesn't work for this, it will be useful for other things and I'll switch back to the boomed shotgun.

It seems the "cheap" kit that straddles the line between junk and pro is the Senn M2? What are it's drawbacks? Range? Interference (not a worry where I'm going)?

If I rent something for a week that's a bit better, what should I look at (Lectro?) and what should I expect to pay for a week?

Thanks all!
Charles Sprickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2005, 08:46 PM   #2
Inner Circle

LECTRO, ZAXCOMM, AUDIO LTD

Some would include Micron

No Doubts.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Ty Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2005, 08:59 PM   #3
Trustee

I've been using my 897 as an on camera mic, and it does a pretty good job. we're working on a doc for a local politician, and have been using the 897 on channel 1 and the senn g2 on the other channel. the 897 works pretty well for ambience.
Bruce Yarock
Bruce S. Yarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2005, 12:06 AM   #4
Major Player

I have been using the AKG CK93/SE300B as an on cam mic at times and it works really well. Really small and i get no handling noise with the K-Tek shockmount.
Matt Stahley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2005, 01:31 AM   #5

Using the U100 for my wireless, love it. I'm also using a KTek, works pretty good, but I've found it's a little better if I use some white grease on the threads, holds tighter. I just got their new carbon pole, too. So far, very nice. Compacts nicely even in extreme cold. (+10degrees)
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2005, 01:25 PM   #6
Tourist

Any other thoughts for on-camera, something tending towards omni?

Camera is a DVX-100a, would a dynamic mic (ie: an older EV model) have enough cajones, or would I be turning the mic gain way up?

And any rough guesses on rental prices for the wireless rigs for one week?

Thanks!
Chas Sprickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2005, 03:24 PM   #7
Trustee

I think a dynamic mic would be too low in output for most situations, even though the DVX-100a has sensitive mic inputs.
The AT873r works pretty well for situations like this. It's a phantom-powered hypercardioid with a moderate output and a high SPL rating. It's small, lightweight, matte black and easy to wind protect by adding a small furry like the FatCat. The head of the mic is very small, so you'd need to add a small, black hairband to secure any generic sized screen. They are available from $100 to $180 depending on vendor and sales. The hypercardioid pattern helps reject camera noises better than a cardioid, and is a good compromise between directional and too wide. It can also double as a hand-held mic.
Jay Massengill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2005, 10:38 PM   #8
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Bruce S. Yarock : I've been using my 897 as an on camera mic, and it does a pretty good job. we're working on a doc for a local politician, and have been using the 897 on channel 1 and the senn g2 on the other channel. the 897 works pretty well for ambience.
Bruce Yarock -->>>

Bruce, what camera are you using the AT897 with? I'm wanting to buy one for my GL2 to use during wedding receptions, but I'm concerned with all the reports of the mic's lower output. I was hoping to use this mic with the Sign Video XLR adapter, but is something with a preamp like the Beachtek DXA-8 a requirement when using this mic with a GL2?

Thanks!
Old February 16th, 2005, 12:07 AM   #9
Trustee

Chris,
I bought the 897 to use with my GL1 ( along with the beachtek box), and it worked fine. I have a friend who is a pro sound guy, and i listened to all the top end shotguns. I couldn't afford a Samken cs-3, etc., so I went with the 897. When I brought it over to my friend, he was really impressed with the quality for the low cost.
Now I'm using it with the XL2, and I'm still happy with it.
Bruce Yarock
Bruce S. Yarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2005, 06:15 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Does the XL2 have passive inputs without a preamp just like the Sign Video adapter does?

Also, I'd like to know if anyone has used the AT897 for a wedding reception before. Does it have a good enough pick up and range to be worthwhile for me?
Old February 16th, 2005, 08:42 AM   #11

On one of the other forums I frequent, the 897 seems to be the premium choice for weddings. I've used it for several larger room, indoor functions and it's great.

The XL2 offers gain in the chain.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2005, 12:26 PM   #12
Regular Crew

thanks, thats just what I needed to hear. I think I'll go ahead and buy the AT897 then and hope it works out OK for me. Now all I need to decide is if I go with the Sign Video or Beachtek adapter. Is the Beachtek DXA-8 worth the extra $200 or so? Or if not, how do the less expensive Beachtek adapters compare to the Sign Video one?
Old February 17th, 2005, 03:33 AM   #13
Tourist

<<<-- Originally posted by Jay Massengill : The AT873r works pretty well for situations like this. It's a phantom-powered hypercardioid with a moderate output and a high SPL rating.

They are available from $100 to $180 depending on vendor and sales. -->>>

Quick question, froogle isn't turning up too many bargains. Care to name any vendors? I'll take used if you know of a reputable used dealer.

And the "Fat Cat" windscreen, same deal, know a good vendor?

Thanks!
Chas Sprickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2005, 09:57 AM   #14
Trustee

The lowest I ever saw it was during a special sale at a regional vendor, SE Systems, in Greensboro, NC.
They are having another customer open house, with demos and sales this Sunday the 20th.
Not sure what the price would be, but they are very helpful.
336-275-4444
Anyone in the area who is interested in ANYTHING to do with audio equipment of all kinds should pre-register by phone and come on Sunday. They have a drawing 2 times that day and give away thousands of dollars worth of stuff that ranges from a rack-mount power strip with lights, up to full-sized amps or even wireless mic systems.

The FatCat is available from Trew Audio in Nashville and B&H in NYC. It's $68. I've seen other newer versions of this at numerous sites, but don't remember any details.
Jay Massengill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2005, 03:13 PM   #15
Tourist

<<<-- Originally posted by Ty Ford : LECTRO, ZAXCOMM, AUDIO LTD
-->>>

On the used front, are the Lectro VHF units any good? I see some interesting stuff on Trew Audio's consignment pages... Specifically the CR185, 187. Although none of these appear to be diversity receivers.
Chas Sprickman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio