equipment suggestion at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old February 17th, 2005, 12:54 PM   #1
New Boot

equipment suggestion

I have a friend who wants to film his hunting trips and would like to use a wireless mic (lapel). It's difficult for me to advise him on this because he wants to use a sub $500 camera to do it. Not really a problem (he could film the hunts with a VHS-C for that matter) but he wants to use the wireless mic. I think he wants the Outdoor Channel look/sound but doesn't want to spend much to get it.

He has seen my pd170 etc but doesn't want to invest much and is mainly doing this for fun and to document his hunt (no plans to make a hunting show etc - he's not a video guy). He doesn't have any software to edit - just wants it on film.

Anyone have any ideas on this? I told him he could consider just filming with a camera and use the supplied mic but he wants to be able to whisper during the hunt and have it on the video. I'm not sure it can be done the way he wants but maybe some of you have done this.

Thanks,
Brian Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2005, 03:11 PM   #2
Major Player

Yep, he can get a cheap wireless unit, which might be okay since presumably in the woods he will not have too many interference issues. VHF might actually be better than UHF (I don't know what frequencies those hunter two-way radios use). Expensive units have better interference rejection and better quality. I am assuming his cheap camera has a mic input jack.

Even better would be an iRiver and a lav mic, since he could put it in his pocket and be recording even if the camera is off. No wireless radio issues that way, and cam stays smaller without receiver unit. Can sync it up later. Might come in handy that way.

A lav is the best way to go.
Old February 17th, 2005, 03:20 PM   #3
Major Player

Sony makes a little wireless unit called the WCS-990. I think it runs around $150 or less and does a pretty good job considering the price. It would be perfect for an ultra budget camera/wireless lav setup. I have 2 of these and have used them on outdoor shoots when I thought the mic had a chance of getting killed like while skiing or climbing. It only has mini-jack input so it is a perfect fit for lower end cameras. The thing to remember is that you always need fresh batteries in it (you will hear static when they are getting low) but the plus side is that the batteries last a VERY long time.
Rhett Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2005, 06:20 PM   #4
Inner Circle

I think he should just get a lav and plug it directly into the camera, since he's going to hold it anyway. He could also put a mic in the hotshoe and turn it around so the mic is facing his mouth. He'll need a good windscreen though.
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio