Wind Protection setup at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old February 25th, 2005, 12:44 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Wind Protection setup

Hey guys,
I finally decided on the AT4073a and the AT4053a setup. I know Ty's first choice is the cmc641 but I don't have it in my budget at this time :(

Now I'm stuck with finding the right wind protection for them. I don't want to skimp anything on audio but after purchasing the mics, we don't have much money left. We decided on the K-Tek internally coiled boom pole and the K-Tek K-SSM shock mount a lot of people seem to like. Also, I would like a set up I could use with both the AT mics. With that in mind, how's this setup?

1) Lightwave MS-104 Miniscreen with MSC-104 Ministock?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=292345&is=REG

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...Type=accessory

Total Price: $180

Also, can I use the Lightwave MS-104 indoors or would I be better of with the stock foam from AT?

Thanks so much for all your help guys.
Andrew Oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2005, 07:48 AM   #2
Trustee

That combination should work fine for ordinary outdoor situations with the usual amount of wind.
The frequency response of the 4073a is relatively bright, so I generally leave the wind protection on all the time and I'm pleased with the results. I'm using a Lightwave zeppelin and a velour cover.
For the 4053a and indoor use on a swinging boom, you can get a thicker foam screen like the teardrop version from AKG that normally comes with their ULS capsules like the CK61 - CK63.
The foam screen that comes with the 4053a is very thin and designed for music recording where the mic is on a stand.
The lightwave screen you're getting is too long to work with the short 4053a if you wanted to go outdoors with it. You'd need to go with something additional, like that thicker AKG foam and a small furry FatCat secured over that with a black hairband.
Jay Massengill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2005, 03:29 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks so much Jay. You always come through! I'll defintely take your advice.
Andrew Oh is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio