softie at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old March 13th, 2005, 05:09 AM   #1
New Boot

softie

Hi, I've a AT897, and I'm trying to get as cheap a softie for it as poss, I'm looking on Ebay, and was wodering, the size of the AT is 21 diam, by 11 long, I've seen a windjammer that is 22 diam and 18 long, would the extra length make a difference, I mean would it be ok to act as a windjammer though my mike is smaller, someone said I need a 14 but does it have to be exact...please help only hours till auction closes
Anton Hecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2005, 08:18 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Yes, you need a Softie that is the right length. The microphone must be inserted all the way to the end or the dead space will muffle your audio. Also, the diameter is too large on the Softie that you're looking at. It will slip off the mic.
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2005, 08:48 AM   #3

Worse still, if the softie is too large and it isn't snug, it can move against the mic barrel, causing more noise than the wind might.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2005, 11:18 AM   #4
New Boot

Try http://stores.ebay.co.uk/ReinhardtWindshields_W0QQssPageNameZl2QQtZkm

He will make up softies to any spec if he doesn't sell them already, and at £30 they're a damn-site cheaper than shelling out on a Rycote!

use this link if the one above doesn't work:

http://www.reinhardt-film.com/new/mainpage.html
Peter Wallington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2005, 11:47 AM   #5
New Boot

I've read all the replies, I went on the Rycot site and they have one for the ME66 that says it fits my mike, it is only £30, would this be ok, didn't really get the last post, are you saying these Rycot aren't any good
Old March 13th, 2005, 11:48 AM   #6
New Boot

Sorry, not Rycote, but the cheaper other one Reinhardt
Old March 13th, 2005, 11:59 AM   #7
New Boot

I've just ordered the Reinhart...it's the Me one, on the web site says it's correct one, but seems long at 20cm...after what you guys were saying..any thoughts....
Old March 13th, 2005, 03:04 PM   #8
Trustee

Rycote and Lightwave are the same company. That given, the softie is the standard and according to Rycote is the best all round. i own softies and I' happy with them.

If you want to save money buy a windjamer or polecat fur cover. These do a pretty good job for 1/3 of the cost. They're a fur cover that slips over the foam windscreen.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio