evo 100 wireless microphone as good as wired for interview? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old March 21st, 2005, 10:13 PM   #1
Regular Crew

evo 100 wireless microphone as good as wired for interview?

Okay -- I want to economize in whatever ways that I can -- so I was wondering if people thought that the Evolution 100 would be fine for sitdown interviews -- or if people think that I need to get a wired lav in addition to Evolution 100.

This is for a documentary about Asian-American mental health and there will be some talking heads, but will also be following around a few subjects.

And I was also wondering if the microphone that comes with the Evolution 100 series (I think it is the ME-2) can maybe actually also be used as a straight wired lav microphone. Or is that just wishful thinking? :-)

Thanks for your help. You have all been great.

And remember this is a no budget -- my own money kinda deal :-).

Albert
Los Angeles, California
Albert Wong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2005, 01:28 AM   #2
Wrangler

I'll answer here but I'm going to move this to the correct forum, 'Now Hear This.'

The ME2 requires power that it normally receives from the transmitter. The manual IIRC, gives you the wiring setup and you can substitute a setup to power the lav if you want to do some custom wiring.

That wireless/lav setup is just fine for interviews in any case. I'd probably not get a wired microphone as well. Another type of microphone would add more capability to your kit.

Fundamentally, if you have limited funds, that wireless will work very nicely.
Old March 22nd, 2005, 02:20 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks, Mike! I really appreciate your help :-)

And sorry for posting in the wrong place :-( -- I am still getting the hang of how this all works...

anyhow...
That is kind of what I thought :-) both on the "it makes more sense to allocate funds elsewhere than on a wired lav Mike if I'm going to get a wireless" front and on the "it probably takes more know-how that I probably have right now to change the wireless into a wired" :-)

Thanks again!

I think I'm going to get me the ew 100 eng-g2 -- I found a guy who would sell it to me for around $480 (including shipping and tax).... gadzooks that's almost half of my camera cost... ouch!

Hopefully these things don't depreciate too fast :-(
Los Angeles, California
Old March 22nd, 2005, 03:13 AM   #4
Regular Crew

I would recommend spending the extra hundred bucks and getting the EW100 ENG setup, which includes the SKP plug-on transmitter. Fantastic little toy.
Tim Brechlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2005, 07:33 AM   #5

A wired mic is preferable when possible to a wireless mic, only because it's one less area the sound can be colored, and one less technical glitch to potentially deal with. And yes, you can purchase adaptors that will allow you to deal with the lav so it can be hard wired vs on a transmitter. Virtually any mic can be adapted or converted to go back and forth.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2005, 12:42 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Tim,

Yes, I was on the fence, but now (after all the "plugs" for the plug :-)) I am definitely planning to get the EW100 ENG G2 System with the Plug on Transmitter.

(thank goodness for you guys -- it makes me feel a little less anxious about spending huge gobs of money than i don't really have :-) -- kind of like, Well If Everyone Else Is Doing It, Then Why the Heck Not?)

so, after spending probably a zillion hours of my time searching the internet, i found a price that i think is pretty good for the system, but i wanted to check out with you guys.

$500 -- is that about the right price?
EW100 ENG G2 System with the Plug on Transmitter.

Actually it is technically $450 for the system, new, from an authorized dealer . Plus $50 approximately for shipping and handling and tax -- darn, they are California-based, -- which brings it to $500 -- but that's still is a pretty good deal, I think

Unless anybody out there has found a better deal, and lets me know, I will probably put in the order tomorrow -- so speak now, or forever hold your peace :-)!

And if anyone has any suggestions about the best band for Los Angeles (A, B, C) -- let me know, because if everything goes according to plan, my order is going in by5 PM tomorrow.

Finally, DOUGLAS -- what is the name of the adapter to purchase that transforms the lav on the Evo 100 transmitter into a wired microphone? (And the most important question -- approximately how much does it cost :-)?)

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Albert
Los Angeles, California
Old March 23rd, 2005, 07:15 AM   #7
Major Player

I bet the dealer knows what adapter you would need, and proably sells them. If not, get a better dealer. I like one-stop solution shopping. Saves a lot of posting and waiting time.
Bob Costa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2005, 01:48 PM   #8
Wrangler

Hi Albert,

I spend WAY too much time and effort trying to choose the frequency band (ended up getting C Band) when I was getting ready to buy my ENG kit. Here's the thread about that, and the link to Sennheiser's web pages that have USA locality-specific information:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...threadid=31301

http://www.sennheiserusa.com/newsite...qfinder-ew.asp

You'll enjoy using it!
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2005, 03:42 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Thanks for the links!

I ended up going for the "A" band -- can't wait to get it

All the best,
Albert
Los Angeles, California
Old March 26th, 2005, 03:48 AM   #10
Trustee

I think wireless would be just as good for interviews,
and probably preferred when you look at it being
easier to set up and work with.
Dave Largent is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio