How to stop noise on a camcorder mounted mic? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old March 22nd, 2005, 11:19 PM   #1
Tourist

How to stop noise on a camcorder mounted mic?

I am new to this whole subject and I just picked up aRode VideoMic. It is a wonderful mic for camcorder mounting and has a great sound. I am very impressed by it.

But no matter what mic I have mounted and even with the shock mount of the Rode, when I rub my hands on the camera all the contact of my hand touching the camera transfers to the recording. Even pushing the zoom button.

There has to be some way to minimize this. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. This is a fantastic forum. Thanks in advance.
Tom Chmielinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2005, 12:41 AM   #2
Regular Crew

A LANC minimizes contact

You may want to look into getting a LANC, if your camcorder takes it. It's a wired remote control that allows to you focus and zoom without touching the on-camcorder controls.

See the reviews over here.
David Yuen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2005, 06:29 AM   #3
Major Player

Tom,
Does your cam have mic audio level adjust? If so, you might try turning the mic levels down. The Videomic has a quite strong output that can drive the mic input into the AGC easily, especially on consumer cams. If you don't have level adjust, look into getting an inline attenuator. About -15 dB should do it. If you can't find an attenuator with 3.5mm input and output, you can use an inline stereo volume control for portable audio players. Radio shack carries them.
Guy Bruner is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio