Which field recording software for laptop at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old March 27th, 2005, 05:39 PM   #1
Major Player

Which field recording software for laptop

For field recording laptops (windows XP, and using edirol's FA-101 to capture) is there a preferred program for capture (ie. wavelab, goldwave, audition, audacity, etc.), and if so why. Or is it simply the case that anyone will do for indie film, doc, and small band recordings
Dwight Flynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2005, 05:57 PM   #2

Well...I'm a Vegas and Sound Forge freak. I've done very, very well with them. From Steven Seagal location work to BB King, to 3 Tenors, Mormon Tab Choir for the Olympics....my laptop has been my recording station almost exclusively for the past 5 years.
http://m-audio.com/artists/en_us/DouglasSpottedEagle.html

ProTools isn't bad, but it's just a pig on the processor in the Windows world.

With Vegas, I've successfully recorded 24 tracks in the field on multiple occasions. Until about 2 years ago, I still used DA-88's fed from the same inputs, but now I no longer do, and my FedEx account is much lighter now that I'm not flying a 16space rack everywhere I go.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2005, 06:06 PM   #3
Major Player

Spot, sound forge I understand...but vegas. I have used it in the past for video editing, but in this case I will want to avoid things such as clipped sound and similar capturing probems. Given that, however, I don't don't doubt that what you are saying is true, but for someone with less expertise than yourself in the use of clean audio capture, will vegas provide me with enough coverage.
Dwight Flynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2005, 06:17 PM   #4

If you are capturing clipped audio in Vegas, you're capturing clipped audio in everything else. Whatever your card puts out, that's what Vegas records. Vegas is trimmable, some DAWs aren't on input. It's all up to your card, not the software.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio