reasons to pay more for a wireless mic at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old April 6th, 2005, 08:48 AM   #1
Major Player

reasons to pay more for a wireless mic

Other than long distances from transmitter to receiver, what shooting challenges make a Lectrosonics-quality wireless worth the investment vs a Senn or AT?
Philip Fass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2005, 09:02 AM   #2
Major Player

"Other than long distances from transmitter to receiver, what shooting challenges make a Lectrosonics-quality wireless worth the investment vs a Senn or AT?"

I think it all depends on what you're shooting.

I've found the sound from the Lectro mics to be superior to just about anything else I've ever heard. Although, I suppose you could get a Tram mic (the kind used on Lectro wireless) and attach it to another transmitter.

The biggest reason I like using Lectro mics is because I do quite a bit of event work, and I can't afford to have a drop out. I've never once had a problem with a Lectro mic, whereas just about every other brand has dropped out on me at one point or another.

So, for me it's basically a level of confidence and comfort.
I know when I'm using a Lectro, I don't need to worry about my wireless, and I can concentrate on other things.

Then again, it's a heafty investment. I use them quite a bit, but I have yet to buy one myself. I can rent them for about $40 a day here, which makes it difficult to fork over the full price to buy one.

Audio gear is pretty cheap to rent. Perhaps you should try renting a couple of different brands for a weekend, and do a test shoot... put yourself in the same sorts of situations you would normally shoot in, and see what works.
Luis Caffesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2005, 09:16 AM   #3
Major Player

Luis, that's very helpful. Thanks.

Let me ask you, what situations have caused dropouts with other brands? Can you walk into a location, look around, and predict what will cause those problems?
Philip Fass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2005, 11:03 AM   #4
Major Player

what situations have caused dropouts with other brands?

To be honest, I couldn't tell you. I'm not tech savy enough when it comes to wireless gear to tell you what caused the problem.

9 times out of 10 for me it's probably just an issue of either distance, or a physical obstacle in the way of the signal.

That tenth time it's usually interference of some kind (which is why if you aren't in control of your produciton environment I would highly recommend a mic where you can select the frequency, as well as a diversity signal to help alleviate the drop out problems).

When it comes to Lectros... I can tell you about a quick test I did the other day with a guy I work with quite a bit.
We took all his wireless mics, an old Sennheiser, and Audio Technica, and his new Lectro.

We swapped them out, plugging them into his PD170. He put on headphones, and I put on the mic.

All three were fine as long as we stayed in the same room (we were in a roughly 15 X 20Ft room).
But, as soon as I tried to step outside the door, the Senn and AT both broke up completely (the Senn first). I couldn't get more than 5ft out the door before all he heard was static (because the signal was having to go through a wall at that point.

With the Lectro, I walked outside, down the sidewalk about 40 feet, around the corner and kept going for another 20 or so feet. I had assumed I'd broken up by that point so I came back...he told me he could hear me clearly the entire time.

If you can afford it, and if you can justify the expense, you can't go wrong with a Lectro. It will be one less thing to worry about on set.

It's a steep price to pay... but it's steep for a reason.
Like I said, I use them pretty often, but I still can't justify buying one. I would recommend renting until you find something that works for you. It's the best way to be able to try different models, sizes, etc.

"Can you walk into a location, look around, and predict what will cause those problems?"

I wish I had that power.
:)
I'd be a superhero.
Luis Caffesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2005, 11:22 AM   #5
Major Player

I guess it's like buying insurance. How much risk you can tolerate.
Philip Fass is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio