another audio question (mixer) - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old April 27th, 2005, 06:49 PM   #16
Trustee

I don't know why I thought you had an XL1. At any rate the VX2000 needs hotter mics or preamping even more than the XL1 does.
The G2 wireless receiver can be set for a wide range of output from normal mic-level to almost line-level output. So it's very flexible.
The ATR55 is way down the list of mics. Get that AT897 as soon as you can. It's a great mic for the money. However it does have only a moderate sensitivity level. It's very clean but works well with cameras like the DVX100a that have very sensitive mic inputs.
Since it doesn't sound like getting the mixer is all that important to you anymore, the DXA-8 would be worth it when combining the AT897 with the VX2K.
However, if that extra cost made you put off replacing the ATR55, then I'd re-evaluate. It will be like night and day when comparing the two mics but you have to work within your budget. So you still have some deciding to do.
Jay Massengill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2005, 09:31 PM   #17
Major Player

I'm really thinking about getting the AT897 but am unsure as of now, because I want to get other "accessories" such as a monopod and shoulder stabilization etc.. Plus, we are also getting a XL-1S onto our arsenal...
my question to you is, when would a mixer come in handy? Lets say we take the vx2k and the dxa-8 and go around shooting, would there be a need for a mixer at al, if we only plan to use the mentioned lav and shotty for all shoots..?
Spike Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2005, 10:42 PM   #18

I'm coming to this one late, so forgive me for butting in, Jay...
Spike, you won't need a mixer at all if you're just using a lav and a shotgun. The Beachtek will manage the two inputs just fine.
While you're out buying accessories, toss a pair of Sony MDR 7506 headphones into the basket, don't ever turn on a camera without headphones connected.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2005, 10:46 PM   #19
Major Player

i hear you, i got a pair of studio production headphones that i'll be putting to good use... Just curious, when would a person need a mixer then? for inputs >2?
Old April 27th, 2005, 10:54 PM   #20

You need a mixer when:
You have more than 2 mics and your cam only takes 2
or
you need to blend a CD player, tape deck, or other device in with the microphones you're recording
or,
you are using outside recording gear and need to control levels
or
you have lots of mic feeds and need to feed a cam AND recording gear

And a few other instances. But for run n' gun, you don't need a mixer. It's just additional gear.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2005, 07:02 AM   #21
Trustee

A quick summary:
This thread started out with the main question being "3-channel mixer or BeachTek?" Then it moved to "you need both to cover everything". Then progressed to "which BeachTek?" And then, "which BeachTek if you don't get the mixer?" Following with "the mics need to be upgraded" and "the VX2K would greatly benefit from preamps like in the DXA-8 or the field mixer."
It seems like now run and gun seems more important than more stationary interview type situations. If that's the case, I would go with the DXA-8 for your specific camera, but you really need to get the AT897 as quickly as you can. It will be the single biggest improvement in your sound versus the ATR55.
So, all the info has been good info, you just need to focus on your budget and the specific activities you're recording. And don't forget one other thing that hasn't been discussed, wind protection.
Jay Massengill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2005, 04:32 PM   #22
Major Player

Thanks for all info and the patience. I'll definitely take your advice regarding the AT microphone. We're planning on using the lav most of the time, but we're not sure which/ or what sort of mic to use to capture ambient background noise that'll be mixed in... I'm guessing a shotgun with it's directional pick up is not a good thing for this case? What other sort of mics should I look at if I want to pick up environment sounds..
Old April 29th, 2005, 07:28 AM   #23
Trustee

It depends on the situation. Sometimes a shotgun is appropriate when you still want some isolation and the acoustics of your location are suitable for a shotgun. Other times a hypercardioid or cardioid mic is better suited when you want wider pickup, or the reverb of a small, lively room makes a shotgun sound strange. Still other times need a stereo mic attached to a separate recorder to get an interesting ambience.
Search the threads here, there are plenty of discussions of hypercardioid and cardioid mics that are suitable for on and off-camera use.
Jay Massengill is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio