aduio issue-need help please at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old April 21st, 2005, 04:20 PM   #1
New Boot

aduio issue-need help please

Can anyone take a listen at this really short clip and tell me what that static jump in the middle is and any suggestions on how to fix it in post?

http://plaza.ufl.edu/ufmike22/audio.mov

Thanks for the help
Mike Szabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2005, 08:48 PM   #2
Inner Circle

That one might be hard...

A- Reshooting the audio or using ADR would work, although I assume you would want to avoid that.

B- The one-off clicks can be gotten rid of, but the static over the middle of "playing in sports" is hard. Probably the best way to get rid of it is to do some dialogue editing. You need to find another part where he says "playing in".

C- Edit around your problem by finding an equivalent sound bite, or finding some other way to say what you want to say.

Or perhaps the first part of the sentence is superfluous if you already established his character as someone who enjoys working out and playing sports. (EDIT: I thought about it a little bit, and that won't work because the audience needs the first sentence to understand the second).

D- Cut the audio after he finishes saying "Yeah I really enjoy working out..." (cut out "and playing in sports"). Use a video cutaway there. Pause. And then finish with the rest of the sentence: "I just don't know what to do if I'd have to stop".

You'll need to carefully match the room tone with the boat's motor going in the background (which changes).

2- Were you using wireless?

What microphone did you use to record, and what did you record to?
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2005, 10:51 PM   #3
New Boot

fixed some of it

I was able to fix that part from the link no prob, I used parts of audio where he said the same words, can't tell I did anything to it.

But other parts it happened there's just to much to get rid of and I would have to re-record.

I was using an adzen ecz-990, not wireless, it's not top notch by any means, but I'm a student with no money and it is a major upgrade on my on-camera mic. I have a panasonic ag-dvc30.

isn't a major project and I don't have a lot invested in it so I'm not freaking out or anything.

I just want to know if anybody has any ideas as to what might have caused it so I can avoid it in the future. Thanks for the help.
Mike Szabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2005, 11:30 PM   #4
Major Player

Mike I played with your clip a bit and I could email it back to you as I dont know how to post it.Seemed to clean up half decent
Jack Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2005, 11:39 PM   #5
Major Player

Didnt see you last post until after I posted.I did as you said and just replaced the letters where the noise was and used a noiseprint to reduce the background noise.The background noise you may know what it is .Does sound like a boat motor as Glenn said.The buzz sounds like the sound some audio demo programs put in while editing.
Jack Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2005, 12:42 AM   #6
New Boot

Yeah the sound is compressed to mp3 so that might make the background sound a little worse, I've got filters to fix that though. I just can't figure out those clicks in the middle of the clip, they are right over the words so its really tough to get around. They randomly, (not very frequently but enough to bother you) appear on my tape. One part it was really bad, still don't know what to do about that part. You can only hear it through playback so you won't know until you start editing unless you watch the whole tape while you are shooting.
Mike Szabo is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio