Stereo outputs and the Beachtek DXA-6 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old April 28th, 2005, 09:24 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Stereo outputs and the Beachtek DXA-6

I have a mixer with stereo outputs and a beachtek dxa-6 attached to my GL2. If I connect XLR cables to the stereo outputs on the mixer and on the dxa-6 would it record to tape in stereo?

Also, if I just connect the mic to the beachtek directly to the left channel, it would just record the left channel. Later in Premiere would I just see the left channel with audio on it?

Thanks

Anthony
Anthony Meluso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2005, 07:45 AM   #2
Trustee

It depends on two factors: The setting of the MONO/STEREO switch on the BeachTek and the setting of the PAN controls on your mixer.
If your mixer pan controls are set appropriately to the left and right, you use two cables to connect to the BeachTek, and the BeachTek is set for STEREO, then you will have two separate channels of audio.
Remember that true stereo needs two channels AND those channels have to contain audio that's actually tied to Left and Right directions.
Otherwise you have two-channel mono, such as a lav mic on the "left" channel and a shotgun on the "right" channel. In this case left and right are just names, they don't really mean the mics are in the scene to the left and right unless you're doing this for an effect.
If your two-channel mono signals contain exactly the same audio, like if your pan controls are all centered on your mixer, or your BeachTek control is set to MONO, then you just have a mono signal with two copies.

If you hook a single mic to the BeachTek, setting the switch to MONO will send the mic to both outputs. If the switch is set to STEREO, the mic will only go to its matching output and the other track would be silent. At first glance this seems backwards, but STEREO keeps the inputs separated so you can have two distinct channels. MONO mixes both inputs to both outputs equally to create two copies of a mono audio signal.
How your editing software handles this captured file depends on the software.
Most can manipulate the two tracks of audio in a variety of ways, but some are not so flexible.
Jay Massengill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2005, 10:28 AM   #3
Regular Crew

So if I filmed with two lav mics, one to each person, and had them connected to the mixer and correctly panned the left and right channels, I would have to set the Beachtek for stereo and I have to distinct channels to edit with on the computer?

Thanks for all the help
Anthony Meluso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2005, 12:47 PM   #4
Trustee

You are correct.
The only limitation would be how your editing software lets you manipulate those two channels of audio. Some software is inflexible and you are limited in the ability to split them into two distinct tracks and re-center them.
Other software allows full flexibility and you can change this original stereo track any way you want.
Jay Massengill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2005, 01:42 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks for clearing this up for me.
Anthony Meluso is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio