Recording from Yamaha keyboard at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old October 20th, 2002, 03:14 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Recording from Yamaha keyboard

Equipment:
Yamaha PSR-225GM keyboard.
Panasonic NV-DV2000
Canon XL1.
Is it possible to record from the k/board to the panasonic deck using the Midi in and Midi out sockets on the k/board into the AV4 in and out sockets on the deck. These sockets are both labeled S-Video.
Alternatively is it possible to record from the keyboard straight into the XL1, is so how?
Many thanks
Old October 20th, 2002, 03:31 AM   #2
Trustee

Your bet bet is to go into your computer using something like Cool Edit Pro or Pro Tools. Going straight from the keyboard to a recording source gives you no way to fine tune you sound.

You won't be able to record directly into your XL1 unless the keyboard has some kind of Firewire output. There is no S-Video/Composite input on the camera. The XL1s has record inputs but not the original XL1.
Adrian Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2002, 06:06 PM   #3
Major Player

I must clarify one thing, well two things. Firstly, the connectors (s-video and midi) are not compatible, and the formats couldnt be farther from each other. MIDI is not video and it is NOT even sound, its a data transmission standard for musical instruments so that they can be hooked up to samplers and sequencers and tone generators. Meaning MIDI says you've played a note to an external device, that external device is relied upon to actually create the sound.

if you play a note on your keyboard the midi port transmits the following things: a "note on" event, the note number (1-127), the velocity (how hard/fast you pressed the key), and finally a "note off" event, among other things. You won't hear anything.

However you CAN actually record sound straight into an XL1 with your 225GM...you'll go from the Phones output on the keyboard into the pair of RCA Audio jacks on the camcorder. For this you'll need an RCA-to-Mini (1/8") or RCA-to-1/4" stereo cable (depending on the size of the Phone output on your keyboard). Next you'll need dive into the camcorder menu and set your audio 1 input to "LINE"...this should enable recording audio from the RCA jacks.

hope this helps...

Casey Visco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2002, 02:48 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Recording from Yamaha keyboard

Thanks Casey I'll try that route.
Many thanks
Old October 21st, 2002, 05:07 PM   #5
Wrangler

To get midi sound into your computer, is the only option to buy a soundcard with midi input? If so can anyone suggest a reasonably priced one?
Thanks.
Dylan Couper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2002, 11:22 PM   #6
Major Player

Dylan, if your soundcard has a joystick port, chances are it doubles as a midi port aswell, you just need an adapter for it!

if not, well...i havent been in the market for a sound card for a long time! i've had the same SB Live card in my system since the original came on to the market...but in that family i might suggest an Audigy from Creative Labs...the newer addition to their line, and i believe its reasonably priced.

if you're looking for more studio grade i/o thats a whole different ball park and can get quite expensive!

Casey Visco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2003, 10:36 AM   #7
Inner Circle

i would suggst to stay away from MIDI, as standard midi sound sets are pretty lame.

Your keyboard has its own soundset and if you connect the audio out to the audio in of your sound card (any soundcard) you can then record onto HD, as has been mentioned earlier.
Using Soundforge or audio editors similar, you can get some great results and u can clean upo the recording with compression and reverb effects and pretty much any other DXEffect you can find.

Midi is a whole different kettle fo fish and is alot more complicated.
Its easy to confuse though, I come form an audio production background and this is one of the most common questions i get.
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio