Film student audio options at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old May 19th, 2005, 12:40 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Film student audio options

Hey everyone, I know this has been answered in a multitude of ways, but searching around, I can't seem to find an answer that addresses my particular needs.

Basically I'm a film student planning on making some shorts in the near future, along with a possible documentary. I currently own a PV-GS150 and an Azden SGM-X (non-xlr) shotgun mic. I want to eventually build a 35mm DOF box, and start shooting stuff that has a very professional feel to it.

Part of that feel of course is the sound, which I feel I'm in great need of upgrading. My Azden is a nice mic, but is a little bass heavy, and adds some unwanted hiss... so I was considering purchasing a Beachtek DXA-2s and possibly a wireless setup to get cleaner dialogue with wireless lavaliers. After some research though I ended up with more questions than answers.

I noticed all of the wireless Sennheiser G2 packages only come with 1 lavalier and transmitter. Do you need 2 receivers if you have 2 lavalier transmitters? Or is this only for separating the audio channels for the mics?

Would the Beachtek XLR adapter be needed with the Sennheiser package? Does it clean up the low hiss I always hear with my Azden, or is that my mic?

For my needs, does a wireless setup with my Azden shotgun make sense? Or should I be looking at a different setup? I'm working with a fairly low budget of around $500... would it be better for me to invest in a external audio (like minidisc/mp3 recorder) setup, and if so, what would you recomend?

Last edited by Matthew Kent; May 19th, 2005 at 01:19 AM. Reason: remembered somthing
Matthew Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2005, 10:39 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Ok, found a good thread on the XLR Beachtek stuff, so don't need answers on that :P

After spending some hours searching around on here, I decided to go with two 256 iRivers (890's), and two Giant Squid mics. It sounds like this is the best way for me to go, but if any of you feel otherwise, please let me know.

Would it still be a good idea for me to invest in a Beachtek xlr adapter and a better shotgun?

Last edited by Matthew Kent; May 19th, 2005 at 12:45 PM.
Matthew Kent is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio