Beachtek DXA8 help at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old June 9th, 2005, 04:22 PM   #1
Major Player

Beachtek DXA8 help

Hey guys, i just got the dxa8 and i got it connected to my vx2k; sound is recording just great, but does the addition of a xlr box mean i can't monitor the audio thru headphones? I plugged in my headphones to the camera's slot and no go, just to test it, i plugged it into the beachtek's aux out slot; no go. I'm not gettin anything thru my headphones; am i overlooking something, or is headphone monitoring not an option when a xlr box is attached?
Spike Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2005, 04:49 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Dear Spike,

I have not used your camera, but on the XL1, XL1s, the GL1, etc., the Beachtek DXA-8 does not interfere in any way with the headphone output. In other words, I monitor the output with the headphones, using the camera's headphone output, while using the DXA-8 without any problems.

Since you are recording fine, I assume that you should be able to monitor with the headphones fine also. I assume that you plug your headphones into the camera and not the Beachtek.

The Beachtek DXA-8 Aux output is not a headphone output, in my opinion, so you should not get any sound through the headphones if connected to Aux.
Old June 9th, 2005, 04:58 PM   #3
Major Player

Hmm, thats odd, i don't seem to be getting anything once the headphone is connected to the vx2k. I just tried to plug the headphones in aux just for sake of trying every options. I'll have to recheck this, but atleast I know that the headphone port doesn't get blocked, thanks for letting me know.
Old June 9th, 2005, 05:06 PM   #4

Spike, you really want to be monitoring from the camera anyway. I don't know what's going on w/ your Beachtek, but the fact is, you could be monitoring audio on the Beachtek while the cable from the Beachtek is shorted out between the Beachtek and the camera, and you'd never know. Monitor from the last possible source for happiest places on earth. Otherwise, you and your client are in for potential misery.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2005, 05:13 PM   #5
Major Player

thanks for the response. I tried that test with my shotty, but couldn't monitor any audio wi/ the headphones. I then plugged in my Sennheiser lav (ewg2) and its working fine. I did a small test and captured the audio, it seems as if there is still some hiss left. Is this going to be forever present since the camera is the notorious vx2k? I messed around wit/ different settings but the hissy noise (altho reduced) was still present in the final audio recording...
Old June 9th, 2005, 05:31 PM   #6
Trustee

Set your audio to manual and then set it to about 20-25% to get rid of the hiss. Plug in your headphones and the control for audio on the side of the swingout screen controls the volume for the headphone jack.
George Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2005, 05:32 PM   #7
Trustee

The DXA8 should have no effect on the headphone jack in the VX2K.

The headphone output from the VX2K sucks big time. It's an unfortunate fact of life.
Old June 9th, 2005, 05:51 PM   #8
Major Player

ok, got it. So, from the final capture of a shoot, there should be absolutely no hiss (even when the volume is turned up) in audio, correct?
I'm still getting a slight bit of hiss-ing in captured video;not exactly sure why. Could be that I have to still mess around wi/ the audio settings here and there. But my question is, in the final product, there should be absolutely no hissing right?
Old June 9th, 2005, 08:13 PM   #9
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike Spiegel
ok, got it. So, from the final capture of a shoot, there should be absolutely no hiss (even when the volume is turned up) in audio, correct?
I'm still getting a slight bit of hiss-ing in captured video;not exactly sure why. Could be that I have to still mess around wi/ the audio settings here and there. But my question is, in the final product, there should be absolutely no hissing right?
Yes, but it is all how low you turn the audio on the VX2100. It needs to be below 25% on the "audio level". Adjust the volume with the controls on the Beachtek. I use just above 20% on the onboard audio.

http://www.versatilemediasolutions.c...es/memday1.mp3

A sample
George Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2005, 06:43 PM   #10
Major Player

thanks for the demo clip George. I'm still getting a bit of a hiss in the final captured video. I just can't seem to get rid of it. The hiss gets significantly louder as I turn the volume level up. I've messed around with the audio levels on both xlr box and camera, used the stock mic with the sennheiser ewg2 lav, and made sure hte cables were alright. Any suggestions? Could it be just the camera itself (vx2k)
Old June 10th, 2005, 07:50 PM   #11
Major Player

Spike I too would get hiss no matter what with my VX2k and DXA8 even with the vx levels at 20%. The audio was great and you could not pick up he hiss really thru TV speakers but when Im editing with phones it was still there. The DXA8 is a definite improvement but the audio on my PDX10 blows away the VX and the headphone jack is even clean no noise.
Matt Stahley is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio