I Swear I Set It to XLR - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old October 20th, 2009, 07:17 PM   #16
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Swanberg View Post
I own a modded MK-012 and use the hyper as my main interior boom mic and concur in your comments about it. In the end though, hauling around an xlr mic to use to make sure I am using the XLR input seems like more work than just hooking up the lav and tapping the built in mic to make sure I am NOT using it, or anything on camera. That's the point of the lav in the first place.
I disagree for 2 reasons:

1. I'm not sure how its more work having a mic occupying the Z1's mic holder? It provides a nice option to be able to remove the xlr mic from the holder and put it on a mic stand when you need an off camera mic. How many times have you gotten to the shoot to discover you didn't pack the mic you need?

2. Its best to have a second mic running at the same time when using a lav because it provides backup and ambient. One lav by itself sounds unnatural. Since the Z1 doesn't allow you to run the internal and xlr mics at the same time, it makes the internal mic useless for lav interviews.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2009, 08:13 PM   #17
Major Player

Point made and taken Pete. Thanks for taking the time to post that.

Chris
Chris Swanberg is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio