Getting a feed from an amp or PA at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old November 3rd, 2009, 12:33 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Getting a feed from an amp or PA

If I get a feed from a guitar amplifier or PA, could I connect it to a line level input? Or would it be mic level or something in between? Specifically, I want to connect it to a Mackie 1642-VLZ3.
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2009, 01:20 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Anyone can correct me here if I am wrong...

Well it looks like there are two sets (Or more) of outputs... I would just hook into the XLR out and run it though a spliter and plug it into you camera as a line in. You should be fine if you do that.

What I have been doing is just hooking into the main with a separate audio recorder, that way I have my on camera sound if anything fails. But that is no good backup for a line in.

Here is a link to the image for those who want to see it.
http://www.sweetwater.com/images/clo...2VLZ3_Back.jpg
Old November 3rd, 2009, 02:05 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Thanks Scott. Actually, I'm trying to go from the instruments to the mixer. I've got to get a feed from the keyboard, two guitars, and bass, as well as micing another PA, which will have the vocals (no way to patch in for that). So you are saying I should treat it as line level signal?
Old November 3rd, 2009, 02:17 PM   #4
Inner Circle

It's best to have a DI (Direct interface) on hand, preferably one with selectable attenuation and a ground lift. Taking a line out feed from an amp or PA board, a passive DI will suffice, however taking feeds directly from instrument level devices, (guitars and such) I would recommend an active DI.

That said, the electric guitar amps are normally mic'd.. since it's a major part of the electric guitar sound. Keys, bass and acoustic guitars w/pick-ups can normally be fed to the board via DIs which normally output mic level.

Last edited by Rick Reineke; November 3rd, 2009 at 02:56 PM. Reason: addendum
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2009, 02:56 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
Rick is right of course, ESPECIALLY when he uses "normally" around DI'ing basses. I'm a 22 year "veteran" of butchering bass lines and spent enough on my bass rig that I would expect the same consideration that my guitar player gets - either mic my cabinet or AT LEAST take a line out of my head. I spent a fortune to get those glowing glass tubes in there and I feel that I deserve to have MY tone preserved as well.
Old November 10th, 2009, 03:29 PM   #6
Inner Circle

So do guitar and bass amps typically have a line out then? I'm guessing it's quarter inch mono?
Old November 10th, 2009, 04:43 PM   #7
Major Player

Sometimes Bass Amps have a line out depending on how high end the amp is. Guitar amps usually don't. You really should mic a guitar amp anyways as the amplifier is a critical component of the electric guitar sound. A dynamic mic pointed at the cone is a good way to go.

Now if the bass player actually has a high end full tube bass head($1500-$2000), micing the cabinet would be the way to go. More modest amps will have a tube preamp and solid state power amp. My personal opinion is that the power amp has to be tube to really make a difference in the sound. But I might get an argument from Shaun. :)

But maybe we'll agree that DI is better than a bad amp.
Brett Sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2009, 05:29 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
Brett is certainly on the right track...

My head has preamp tubes and solid state power. My cabinet is a high end 4x10" ported cabinet with EXCELLENT sound properties.

I play well with others so I would accept the engineer either taking a line out of my head (mine has 1/4" TRS at line and XLR output at mic level on an output gain knob for send) OR speaker mic'ing. (Being anal retentive, I have my favourite speaker as well...)

On a VERY rare occurrence, I've had live sound guys take both and mix the lows and highs from the line out with the growly mids from the mic. THAT is overkill but LORDY did it sound good!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio