NTG-3 and RODE Blimp - your take? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old November 5th, 2009, 06:11 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
NTG-3 and RODE Blimp - your take?

Given the PHENOMENAL "buy an NTG-3 and get the Blimp for a buck" deal, I was wondering what folks who have used the RODE blimp with the NTG-3 have to say? I did my Google search and got some promising feedback on the Blimp but I'm looking for specifics about the combo.

Any workaround issues with the Blimp? Easy to access the mic? I've used some blimps that require the end user to have an engineering degree to get the bloody thing open...
Old November 5th, 2009, 09:19 PM   #2
DVCreators.Net

Overall compared to other solutions out there, the RODE blimp is a solid piece of gear. Being a RODE dealer, I've listened to customers that have switched over from other brands and among the noteworthy issues were:

- Hair sheds more so than other wind muffs (I say, use the included brush and give it a good combing then take it for a ride out the car window at 60mph)
- Tail cable grommet can get lost. I wish they would include a couple of spares
- Some have mentioned that an extra pair of screws on the suspension rings would be nice to be able to move the mounts quickly while out in the field.

Other than that, over the Sennheiser blimp system, I like that you can slide the position of the mic closer or further to the front of the blimp. The whole system comes apart quickly and easily. Very user friendly and strong. I've intentionally stepped, dropped and thrown our sample blimp to make sure it would hold up - passed with flying colors! I also like the fact that it's only $1 instead of $800 on this special - and get this:

Mention DVinfo when you buy an NTG-3 and we'll give you your choice of K-TEK KE79, 89, or 110 boom pole - With internal cable! That means you'd have a complete location sound system: high quality mic, blimp, and boom pole for $699 + $1. How's that for an incredible special only for DVinfo.net members? RODE NTG-3 Shotgun Mic Special
Old November 5th, 2009, 10:03 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
Thanks Guy! And to return the favour: I own an internally wired KTek 110 and LOVE it for the work I do, which is mostly documentary stuff. A fantastic deal made even better!

Now comes MY hard decision - buy locally or buy from Guy... Hmmmm...

Thank you for your ongoing commitment to providing excellent knowledge and great deals to us DVI alumni.
Old November 5th, 2009, 10:39 PM   #4
Major Player

I bought that combo and LOVE it.
Matt Gottshalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2009, 01:34 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Cochran View Post
- Tail cable grommet can get lost. I wish they would include a couple of spares.
Hi Guy the Blimp is now being shipped with a few spare grommets included, spares can be obtained free from Rode support.

Guys, I knocked this case up, easy to do and in hindsight I'd make all the pipes 2-3" longer, mainly to better accommodate the accessories in the top pipe.

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-thin...ode-blimp.html

Cheers.
Old November 6th, 2009, 09:18 PM   #6
DVCreators.Net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun Roemich View Post
Thanks Guy! And to return the favour: I own an internally wired KTek 110 and LOVE it for the work I do, which is mostly documentary stuff. A fantastic deal made even better!

Now comes MY hard decision - buy locally or buy from Guy... Hmmmm...

Thank you for your ongoing commitment to providing excellent knowledge and great deals to us DVI alumni.
Awesome. I always say that if you talk to someone locally that takes the time to show you a product, it's best to buy from them. I like the fact that the local stores are around when I need 'em.

Allan - thanks for the tip about the grommets. There must have been a few of us that "misplaced" 'em :) Nice job on the case too.
Old November 7th, 2009, 11:50 AM   #7
New Boot

Quote:

Mention DVinfo when you buy an NTG-3 and we'll give you your choice of K-TEK KE79, 89, or 110 boom pole - With internal cable! That means you'd have a complete location sound system: high quality mic, blimp, and boom pole for $699 + $1. How's that for an incredible special only for DVinfo.net members? RODE NTG-3 Shotgun Mic Special
That sounds like a great deal for sure! Do you ship to Canada?
Brad Kraus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2009, 03:43 PM   #8
Equal Opportunity Offender

Myself? I've read the reviews and I'm definitely buying one. You can also enroll in "Rode University" and hear/see them demo it whilst they teach you how to best use one.

I got an M3 for $1 with a Podcaster during their last promotion. Only used it twice so far but I absolutely love it. A cameraman mate of mine was also impressed ... night and day compared to his camera mounted mic.

Apart from Rode having such awesome products, it's also cheaper for me to purchase locally! :-)

Andrew
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2009, 06:33 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Quote:
Nice job on the case too.
Thanks Guy appreciate it. The Blimp lives and travels permanently inside the case with its fur Wombat at the back of the main tube. No moisture dust or dirt ever gets to them.

Having installed the NTG-3 before going out, it takes less than 2 minutes to set up on location and we're good to go. Cheers.
Old November 9th, 2009, 07:43 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Quote:
Overall compared to other solutions out there, the RODE blimp is a solid piece of gear. Being a RODE dealer, I've listened to customers that have switched over from other brands and among the noteworthy issues were:

- Hair sheds more so than other wind muffs (I say, use the included brush and give it a good combing then take it for a ride out the car window at 60mph)
- Tail cable grommet can get lost. I wish they would include a couple of spares
- Some have mentioned that an extra pair of screws on the suspension rings would be nice to be able to move the mounts quickly while out in the field.

Other than that, over the Sennheiser blimp system, I like that you can slide the position of the mic closer or further to the front of the blimp. The whole system comes apart quickly and easily. Very user friendly and strong. I've intentionally stepped, dropped and thrown our sample blimp to make sure it would hold up - passed with flying colors! I also like the fact that it's only $1 instead of $800 on this special - and get this:

Not sure how to purchase it for 699 it comes up as 899 for me and then i used "dvinfo" code and it only takes off 5%. Help please?

Thanks
Nicole
Nicole Hankerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2009, 01:55 PM   #11
DVCreators.Net

Hi Nicole,

Thanks for your interest. Here is how to take advantage of the free boom pole offer:

1. Add the NTG-3 to the cart at RODE NTG-3 Shotgun Mic at DVcreators.net
2. In the comments field during checkout type "DVinfo.net free boom pole ______" note which model you would like from these choices:

K-Tek KE79CC
Max Length: 6′ 6″
Weight: 1.452 lbs

K-Tek KE89CC
Max Length: 7′ 6″
Weight: 1.6 Lbs

K-Tek KE110CC
Max Lenght: 9′ 2″
Weight: 23.5 oz

It's that simple! Please do not apply any further coupons as the free boom pole offer is already a stunning deal as is. We like to offer great deals, however can't give away the whole farm! We want to be around to serve you for years to come. This is definitely an amazing package to pick up right now - these kind of deals rarely come along on new equipment. So jump on it! (if you're reading this in 2010, sorry you missed out!)
Old November 9th, 2009, 10:11 PM   #12
Major Player

I'm glad I'm not the only one who screwed up this ordering process =). Thanks again Guy for helping me out!
Eric Stemen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2009, 01:12 AM   #13
Trustee

Thanks a lot Guy! Couldn't resist such a great sound kit offer. Almost cheaper than my NTG-2 an kit a few years ago–you guys really threw in the kitchen sink with this one!
Old November 10th, 2009, 01:45 AM   #14
Regular Crew

Quote:
Hey Guy,

That is an incredible deal!

I don't need another shotgun mic system (I already have several Senny 416's), but this is such an incredible offer for DVInfo users, and as I believe in supporting the forum sponsors, I will order that kit right now. X-mas is coming up, and I can definitely use that kit to make one of my sound persons a great gift.

Thanks for doing that. And BTW, the reviews I have read over the past few months on the Rode NTG-3 vs the Sen 416 say that they are equal or slightly tilted toward the Rode. If I didn't already own several 416's, I would definitely go Rode.
Old November 10th, 2009, 02:06 AM   #15
Regular Crew

Done...

Deal!

Just placed the order. Went smooth as silk.

Thanks again Guy.

Last edited by Enzo Giobbé; November 10th, 2009 at 02:09 AM. Reason: text
Enzo Giobbé is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio