Auto-gain disable function on DXA-5D at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old November 10th, 2009, 03:52 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Auto-gain disable function on DXA-5D

The Beachtek Web site claims that their DXA-5D somehow disables the autogain function on the Canon 5D MKII. Really? How is that possible? Anybody have experience with this thing?
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2009, 06:28 PM   #2
Major Player

It sends a 20K hertz signal to the camera (it's inaudible to the human ear) but the camera hears it as a level and it defeats the auto gain controll, but like I said in another post I'm pretty disappionted with the unit as a whole.
Jerry Porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2009, 11:04 PM   #3
Inner Circle

That's ingenious. Wish they had that during my old GL1 days. I do miss that camera despite it's infernal audio issues.
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2009, 08:47 AM   #4
Inner Circle

When testing for my video reviews of 5D2 audio, I found that the Beachtek cuts the 5D2 gain, but not all the way. If you give the camera a hot signal, it will cut to a lower gain level and stay there. (This is a camera thing, rather than a Beachtek thing.)

One problem is that the 5D2 autogain is implemented on the digital side. The analog gain is fixed at +31dB, so the recordings have a lot of hiss no matter what you do externally.

If you really want to control the gain, get Magic Lantern. You can set the analog, digital, and monitor levels as needed. If you provide some clean external gain, the sound quality can be very good.

Check out my six part review of 5D2 audio here:
P3Pictures on Vimeo

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio