Mixer info I thought I would share (XLR to 3.5mm) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old November 10th, 2009, 04:50 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Mixer info I thought I would share (XLR to 3.5mm)

I talked to a sound engineer today that enlightened me on a problem i was trying to solve. Like many people, I own a camcorder (Canon HF-S10) that does not have an XLR mic input and no phantom power but only a 3.5mm input. I was considering the Juicedlink CX231 as a mixer to mix and convert the XLR to 3.5mm and provide phantom power to the mic. The sound engineer told me that $299 was very pricey for such a task and he suggested the Behringer XENYX 1002B which goes for $99 on ebay and is way more versatile. Plus the XENYX 1002B can run on battery or AC where the Juicedlink CX231 only runs on battery. The juicedlink does however seem to be more mobile; however, my setting is stationary and does not need mobility nor a boom operator since I mainly do interviews. Has anyone used this mixer for a scenario like this? I would love to hear feedback on this, it seems like a better way of doing things.
Michael LaHatte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2009, 05:18 PM   #2
Inner Circle

That does look like a handy mixer, so long as you have time for setup and a place to put it when your shooting. Still, the form factor of the Juicedlink and other XLR adapters designed to mount between the camera and tripod would be well worth the extra dollars to me.
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2009, 05:50 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Two different mixers each for their own purpose. The 1002b is a 10 input table top small studio job and 3 times as big as your camera.

That JuicedLink CX231 $299 model has 2 inputs and it'll screw onto your camera and IMO would be better suited for interviews. I have one it sounds great, excellent noise figures when the interviewee maybe gets bored and dies in the bum and you've got to wind the level up in post.

And even tho you say 'stationary interviews' my guess is at some point you'll go on location for some. Cheers.
Old November 10th, 2009, 05:50 PM   #4
Trustee

A friend of mine had the original version of that mixer, I believe it was the MXB-1002. I felt the sound of that mixer was rather harsh and tiring, but the newer Xenyx version may have been improved.
Another consideration is whether the camera's mic jack has plug-in power. The camera-mount boxes usually have capacitors to defeat the noise this voltage can cause when you're not attaching a mic that requires plug-in power. I don't know if the Behringer mixer has that protection or if your camera even has plug-in power (my similar Canon HF11 doesn't) but it's something to think about if you're hooking to a variety of different cameras.
You'd also have to attenuate the output of the mixer to go into the mic-level-only mini jacks of most cameras.
In many cases I've used both a battery-powered mixer AND a beachtek-type box to complete a hookup to non-XLR cameras. Obviously that doesn't save any money... but it works great!
Jay Massengill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2009, 07:42 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I just noticed that the Juicedlink CX231 does not have a headphone jack. I guess you would just use the headphone jack on the camera? Now that I think about it, that would probably be the best place to monitor the sound anyway since it will be after both the mixer and the camera gain?
Michael LaHatte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2009, 03:57 AM   #6
Trustee

Hmmm...I bought a JuiceLink CX211...but think now I should have paid the extra and got a CX231 because of the phantom power giving the option of using condenser mics...unless I bought a condenser with a battery.

Anyone know of a cheaper hypercardioid - (they're condensers normally aren't they?) - with a battery?

Perhaps I'll sell it on and buy the other...
Renton Maclachlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2009, 11:07 PM   #7
Inner Circle

I can't imagine buying a Juicedlink without phantom power. That just seems like a crime to me. Regarding the headphone issue -- yeah, always monitor at the camera. You need to know what you are getting. Having a headphone jack on the Juicedlink would be handy for trouble shooting, or to give a second person (like the director) a headphone monitor of their own, but that would be it.
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio