Sennheiser SKP 100 G2 plug-on transmitter at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old November 13th, 2009, 10:19 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Sennheiser SKP 100 G2 plug-on transmitter

Hi:
Got me a Sennheiser SKP 100 G2 plug-on transmitter. Now I am hunting for a gun-mike that could be used with that plug-on. As I understand, not every mike works with it.
So, does anybody have a redhot idea which sort/make/brand of gun-mike to buy?
Thanx!
Heiner Boeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2009, 10:26 AM   #2
Major Player

You'll need something battery powered. A lot of people like the Rode NTG-2.
Kevin Walsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2009, 10:35 AM   #3
Major Player

I'm pretty sure it will work with most XLR microphones, not just powered mics. I love the quality of the Shure Beta 58, but it might be a bit short for interview use. Sennheiser's long-handled MD-46 is a good choice too.
Oren Arieli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2009, 10:40 AM   #4
Inner Circle

SKP100 and SKP500 Differences re Phantom Power

The SKP100 will ONLY work with XLR mics that have their own power supply (e.g. a battery within the mic).

I went through all this (in great detail) about a year ago which is why I bought a SKP500 that has the ability to power any XLR mic, if required, by a menu option. Senny's website information about all this (at least back then when I last checked) was very ambiguous - to say the least!

A quick search should find the thread on here. Cheers!

Edit: Adding link.

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-thin...ce-please.html

Last edited by Andy Wilkinson; November 13th, 2009 at 10:49 AM. Reason: add link
Andy Wilkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2009, 12:46 PM   #5
Regular Crew

It works with any microphone that does NOT need phantom power or T-power. So any dynamic mic and condenser mics with battery will work.
Mario Vermunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2009, 03:01 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
Mario is 100% correct.
Old November 13th, 2009, 06:51 PM   #7
Major Player

True, but he asked for a gun-mic. I don't know of any modern shotgun microphones that are dynamic. There may be, I just don't know of any. I know EV use to make them many years ago.
Old November 13th, 2009, 06:57 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Kevin: Mario's statement is true - any dynamic mic OR condenser WITH IT'S OWN BATTERY will work. If a mic REQUIRES Phantom (Like the RODE NTG-1, but NOT the NTG-2) it will not work with the plug on.
Old November 13th, 2009, 07:11 PM   #9
Major Player

Shaun, Heiner asked for a gun-mic. Most (all?) shotgun mics require either Phantom, T-power, or a battery. The SKP100 doesn't supply Phantom or T-power so he needs one that can be battery powered, like the NTG-2 that I recommended. Of course the SKP100 will work with dynamic mics, but I don't see how that applies to what he is asking?

RØDE Microphones - NTG-2
Old November 14th, 2009, 12:46 AM   #10
Regular Crew

I must admit to have overlooked the fact that Heiner is looking for a shotgun (no dynamics there). Nevertheless these threads are being read much later in an other context as well, so it can't hurt to give the extra information.

Back on topic, another suggestion for a shotgun mic which has an internal battery is the k6 system from Sennheiser with an ME66 (supercardioid) or ME67 (hypercardioid) capsule. Be sure not to buy the K6P, which only can be used with phantom power.
Old November 14th, 2009, 06:10 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Hi guys:
An expert (which he hopefully is) from Germany advised me to get me a Beyerdynamic M59 handheld mike. It is dynamic and is hypercardioid.
How do you feel about this solution?
Heiner/Finland

Last edited by Heiner Boeck; November 14th, 2009 at 08:08 AM.
Heiner Boeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2009, 07:28 AM   #12
Trustee

One can buy phantom power supplies, they come with a belt clip and run for ages from a 9V battery. Whilst that does mean running a cable from the mic to the PS and then to the transmitter in say your pocket this is not such a bad thing.
The transmitter in question is quite heavy and large. I've tried using one plugged into a 416 all inside a blimp and it wasn't such a great idea. The extra weight added more load on the shock mount than was good for it and it wasn't too hard to get the transmitter to bang against the cage.
Bob Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2009, 08:29 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heiner Boeck View Post
Hi guys:
An expert (which he hopefully is) from Germany advised me to get me a Beyerdynamic M59 handheld mike.
Heiner/Finland
If you are seriously considering this mic, I believe you need to study some of the threads to get acquainted with the different types of mic's.

It all depends on the way you are going to use the mic. The Beyer is an interview mic meant to be used close to the sound source (30 - 60 cm). The hypercardioid pattern makes sure not to much of the surrounding sound is being recorded.

If you are looking for a mic that can be used a meter or two away from the source you will need a condenser mic (higher sensitivity). These mic's are usually placed on a boom.

There is also a difference in recording in house or outside. For every situation there is a different mic that fit's best. If you only want to buy one mic, choose a small diaphragm condenser mic with a hypercardiod pattern, not a shotgun. (shotguns tend to give a very unnatural sound when used inside). If you want to learn more there is lot's of information about this subject on this forum.

Don't think a mic on top of your camera will work well! Get as close to the sound source as possible.

I realize this information makes it only more difficult for you to choose. If you want specific advice, please let us know how you want to use the equipment.

Edit: I read in another thread that you own a Rode NTG-1. Maybe it is an option to sell that one and buy a Rode NTG-2, basically the same mic with a battery power option.
Old November 14th, 2009, 11:01 AM   #14
Inner Circle

The Beyer M59 is more suited for on-stage vocals.
For a TV/radio reporters type mic, choose a hand-held omni-directional dynamic, like the venerable EV RE-50 or 635A for instance.
For boom work, a 'pencil' style battery-powered hypercard.
However a boom mic is NOT a good idea either, unless the boom-op can monitor what he or she is doing.
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2009, 07:59 PM   #15
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Walsh View Post
The SKP100 doesn't supply Phantom or T-power so he needs one that can be battery powered, like the NTG-2 that I recommended. Of course the SKP100 will work with dynamic mics, but I don't see how that applies to what he is asking?

The quote that I am referring to EXPLICITLY mentions dynamic AND condensers WITH BATTERY.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario Vermunt View Post
So any dynamic mic and condenser mics with battery will work.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio