Battery Phantom Power for AT3031 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old June 25th, 2005, 01:35 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Battery Phantom Power for AT3031

To connect the AT3031 to a wireless transmitter, I am looking for a battery-powered phantom power supply. The transmitter is an AT U100.
The application is a shoot where there is no house sound system that could power the mic, and it is not practical to run an XLR cable from the mic to my cam.
B&H has battery-powered phantom power supplies by ART and Rolls. Is either a good choice? Is there a better solution for my application?
Allen Brodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2005, 07:26 PM   #2
Trustee

That should work, although with any wireless application you should test it ahead of time. There are always potential problems with RF from the transmitter interfering with the phantom supply or the mic.
Sometimes the phantom supply can also reduce the amount of RF the transmitter is successfully sending out.
Then there are the normal things that can cause problems with wireless, such as multipath, interfering frequencies, etc.
Even if everything works perfectly, sending the AT3031 through the wireless will reduce its frequency response and dynamic range. For voice this should be ok, but for music would be noticeably inferior.
I know you said the house doesn't have a sound system, but does it have balanced house wiring? Many times that can be used to greatly reduce the amount of cable you have to run.
Jay Massengill is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio