Best cheap lav? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old November 17th, 2009, 09:13 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Best cheap lav?

I need to pick up eight lavaliere mics for roundtable interviews and so on. Since I need so many of them I need to find something on the cheap end of the spectrum, preferably under $50. The lavs need to be XLR terminated and phantom powered. Any suggestions?
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2009, 09:52 PM   #2
Inner Circle

There are no lavaliere mics on the market for that price range with XLR connections. The cheapest begin at around U.S. $200.00 list. I would advise renting, $50.00 mics sound like crap regardless of the connection.

Dan
Dan Brockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2009, 03:46 AM   #3
Major Player

How about placing mics on the table instead?
Old November 18th, 2009, 06:40 AM   #4
Trustee

In a bind, I actually bought a $25 lav (non-XLR) at Radio Shack and was pretty amazed at the quality. Test it out for yourself and see.

I think if there is one type of mic that is more forgiving than all others, it's a lav. Try Giantsquid.com too. They are known to be pretty good.
Old November 18th, 2009, 07:49 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Yeah, I've already tried placing mics on the table and it worked okay. I do like Giant Squid, but I don't believe he makes XLR terminated lavs. I need a balanced connection and I'm not going to deal with adapters. I am considering more SM11s.

Shure | SM11-CN - Lavalier Microphone | SM11-CN | B&H Photo Video

I already have three of them, so it's fewer left to buy, but they are obnoxiously big and don't quite have as much output as I would like. I have to max out the gain to get a decent level.
Old November 18th, 2009, 08:34 AM   #6
Inner Circle

The SM11 is a dynamic, and naturally has lower output. Probably handles higher SPLs though. May be great for a 'screamer' or working on a firearms show.
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2009, 09:23 AM   #7
Inner Circle

I wonder if they used that lav on Billy Mays?

Dan
Dan Brockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2009, 07:53 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Hey Rick, I'm not faulting the SM11. It does pretty much what it's supposed to. I dangled them in front of some guitar amplifiers over the weekend and they sounded great. I was just hoping to finding something that was a little hotter, a little smaller, and maintained a balanced connection. The only reason I'm asking a "cheap mic" question is that I need so many of the things.
Old November 19th, 2009, 02:26 AM   #9
Regular Crew

How about a good PZM mic? A good quality PZM placed in the center of the 'round table' picks up the sound very well.
Mario Vermunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2009, 08:09 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Nope. A PZM is not gonna cut it.
Old November 19th, 2009, 11:29 AM   #11
Regular Crew

R. S Lav. Mike

I have used a pair of them for 6 years, they really are good mikes. I believe they are made by A. T. for Radio Shack. I have been in pro audio (broadcast & recording studios) for 45 yrs.

In 2000-2003 R.S. had these lavs in a stereo pair for $30-; I recorded a symphony orchestra on my Akai mini disc everyone who has heard it thought it was a commercial recording.

With using R.S. products you have to know how to separate the truly good products from the rest of their line. I used to own Telefunken/Neuman U47's & Sony C37's when I had my on location recording service during the 60's, so I can easily tell if a mike is decent or not.

No sense spending money you don't need to.
Bill Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2009, 01:31 PM   #12
Inner Circle

When you say R.S., do you mean RadioShack? Is there a model number?
Old November 19th, 2009, 02:39 PM   #13
Major Player

The Radio Shack mic is also known as the Audio-Technica ATR-35S. It is a cheap and dirty fix for having no microphone. I would not produce anything with it unless I had no choice. It is noisy and quite coloured sounding. It does not have balanced output.
Les Nagy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2009, 08:24 AM   #14
Regular Crew

Radio Shack Mic

I've use one of these for over a year. I have taped a person talking everywhere from the edge of a mountain rim with high winds to a quiet studio environment. It's been dropped in the dirt, stepped on, wadded up and thrown in a bag - I mean abused! Not intentionally, but stuff happens.

This IS the Radio Shack Mic: Hands-Free Tie-Clip Omnidirectional Electret - RadioShack.com

Check out the reviews and specs. I know a whole lot of people using this from hobbyist to pros. For a cheap mic that can reasonably get the job done - it's tough to beat it.

Now, if you have hundreds to spend...sure spend more if you have to.
Tom Dickerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2009, 09:27 AM   #15
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Dickerson View Post
Well if this is the mic being discussed it is different than the one I know of, so my comments are obviously off track.

Sorry for the confusion.
Les Nagy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio