need help recording to Camcorder 1/8 mini jack from PA System/mixer at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old December 6th, 2009, 03:43 PM   #1
Tourist

need help recording to Camcorder 1/8 mini jack from PA System/mixer

Hi folks!

I need some help. I am trying to record a lecture using Sony HDD Camcorder HDR-XR520V. It has the usual 3.5 mm Stereo Mic (Plug in Power) jack. I am trying to give the audio input into this mic jack from the Yamaha PAS 300 (Portable PA system). This is a live recording with multiple speaking participants and an audience so I cannot use Shotgun or other microphone to mount on the camcorder.

The Yamaha PAS 300 system has Output jacks for recording equipment. It also has Line Output (L/R) which can be given to Powered Speakers. This output can be controlled by the Monitor Out knob.

I tried giving the output from PA System Output jacks (recording equipment jack) to Mic jack on the camcorder but I thought when loud it sounded booming and had some hiss and the hiss was there even when the volume was low.

Can you please advise me what I need to do to record audio from the mixer to the Camcorder mic jack. The Camcorder does not have AGC controls it has MIC REF Level which can be set to NORMAL or LOW.

More information about the Sony HDD Camcorder HDR-XR520V is available here - HDR-XR520V | 240GB HD HandycamŽ Camcorder | Sony | SonyStyle USA

And the information about the Yamaha PAS 300 system is here Photo Library | Downloads | Yamaha Pro Audio

Image of the PA System front panel -

http://www.yamahaproaudio.com/downlo...p?imageid=1123

I truly appreciate all of your time and help in this matter.

Thank you,
Giridharilaldas
Giridharilal Srinath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2009, 04:44 PM   #2
Major Player

You want a line level to mic level attenuator (or adapter).

Do you know which end of a soldering iron to pick up? If so, google the above and you should be set.

If not, open your wallet--wide!

You'll need a couple of these: PSC | ALMP Line to Mic Level In-Line Barrel Adapter | FPSC0010D plus the proper adapters to go from
RCA (?) --> XLR
above adapter
XLR --> 1/8" plug

Radio Shack USED to make such a device that would have made this a lot easier and cheaper.

Somebody PLEASE tell me I'm wrong about this...
Old December 7th, 2009, 04:54 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Your'e pretty spot on... what you need is a thing called a 10db pad.

If you cant find one (B&H comes to mind..) what you need is a 10K ohm resistor in series with the hot lead in the cable.

Grab some coax, a 3.5mm jack, a resistor and the suitable plug to connect to the cable you are using, and solder it up.

Things should be less than $10 from radioshack.

Failing that, get in touch with this bloke ;
eBay Seller: proaudiorepairs: Consumer Electronics items on eBay.co.uk

He will make you a custom lead to suit.

Ben
Ben Longden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2009, 06:43 AM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Longden View Post
Your'e pretty spot on... what you need is a thing called a 10db pad.
Actually, more like 50db.

Quote:
If you cant find one (B&H comes to mind..) what you need is a 10K ohm resistor in series with the hot lead in the cable.
Pretty sure you need at least two resistors. Here are some schematics I found--cannot vouch for the information contained but it appears good.
Line signal to microphone input
Old December 7th, 2009, 10:24 AM   #5
Trustee

A few other considerations are:
How far away from the PA control box will your camera be mounted? If it's a long distance then you may need to consider a connection that will use balanced cable for the longest part of the run to avoid hum and interference. You could use a passive direct box to achieve part of this connection, they are relatively inexpensive and commonly available.
In most PA situations, you really don't need both Left and Right from the box, just one side would suffice to cut down on what you have to buy or wire up. Make sure all the PA sources are pan centered so that each goes to both Left and Right. If you're using just one of the connections, you'll get everything.
Or you could use a separate recorder with unbalanced line-level connections hooked directly to the PA control box's unbalanced recording or monitor outs.
You could also simply place your camera near one of the PA loudspeakers. That can give a satisfactory recording in many cases and you won't be totally dependant on the PA system if for example all the PA mics are muted for some reason.
Other possibilities include renting a small mixer that has a 3.5mm mic-level output like the ProMix3.
You could also rent a BeachTek-type device to make the final connection to your camera. That will also take care of defeating the "Plug-In" power on the camera's mic jack which can cause a lot of noise if the 3.5mm mic plug moves any in the jack and you don't have a connection that's designed to ignore this voltage.
Jay Massengill is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio