Software tool for transcribing from WAV/Mp3 files at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old December 9th, 2009, 03:45 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Software tool for transcribing from WAV/Mp3 files

I am looking for software tool that can take a WAV or MP3 file and generate the dialogue text . The audio files will have mostly one voice talking with some Background sound/noise.

I looked around but could not locate any. Appreciate any pointers.
Bhanu Neti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2009, 07:31 PM   #2
Major Player

Dragon dictate may be able to do it. I would check out some medical transcription software if not.
Old December 9th, 2009, 09:05 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Premiere Pro in CS4 ??

Streaming Media - Creating Automatic Transcripts in Flash Video Using Adobe CS4
Old December 18th, 2009, 04:18 PM   #4
New Boot

NaturallySpeaking 10

I have Dragon NaturallySpeaking 10 from nuance.com. I have only used it to text my speech but it is very quirky. You have to speak slow and very clear, mostly monotone. It takes time to train the program to your voice before you can start using it. In your case, you wouldn’t be able to do that with your recordings because the training is done by YOU reading predetermined text that the program displays for you.

I bet you could find someone who is fast at typing and you could pay them to type out the dialog from your recordings. Maybe a college student.
David B. Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2009, 08:20 PM   #5
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos View Post
In my experience, this feature(?) in PPro is only good for yucks. If you want a hoot, just talk into it in Soundbooth or Premiere and see what it reads back. I tried it with my own non-professional voice and recordings from pro tracks and even clear music lyrics and the results were hysterical but not particularly useful. /Battle Vaughan
Battle Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2011, 11:50 AM   #6
Trustee

Re: Software tool for transcribing from WAV/Mp3 files

Fast forward to 2011...Has any good programs emerged? Dragon Speaking 11?
Warren Kawamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2013, 08:08 AM   #7
Regular Crew

fast foward to 2013... Anything new?
Paul Elertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2013, 09:35 AM   #8
Trustee

Some of the best speech recognition I've experience is actually on my Motorola Android phone. If someone has something like that available in a stand alone package it would probably be about 90% accurate speaking in a natural way. On my phone it also can take a while to transcribe.
Old November 7th, 2013, 04:24 PM   #9
Major Player

Google's speech recognition is quite good - i wonder why they don't put out a product?
Old November 7th, 2013, 04:59 PM   #10
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Ahrens View Post
Google's speech recognition is quite good - i wonder why they don't put out a product?
Google (and Apple Siri, et.al) voice-recognition are not smart-phone "apps". They are huge banks of computers in gigantic server farms back at the other end of the internet. Dunno how you could "productize" that. Unless you sold a "service" where you send them your audio file, and they return a text transcription.

Speaking of which, there are many transcription services available online who do this with live humans at competitive prices. These services are popular with producers of "reality" or even newsmagazine shows (60 Minutes, et.al.) Many (most?) are in Asia where you can send them files at the end of the day shooting, and have the transcripts in your email the next morning.

There is also a web-based "app" where you can play a sound file in "chunks" while you type the transcription. I have used it and it seemed pretty useful (and free!): Transcribe - online transcription software with free trial
Richard Crowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2013, 05:35 PM   #11
Major Player

Medical transcription software works in a special place where there is a more predefined grammar, so speech recognition in that area would be expected to be better than more free-form recognition. There are other types of recognition that work off a pre-defined grammar, such as "enter or say your phone number" which would expect a string of digits of a certain length. The holy grail is a universal voice recognition system that understands every dialect without training. The technology has gotten quite good but it's still not there yet. The software would have to analyze what was heard and interpret it in a grammatical context in order to avoid confusion with homonyms and the like. What you'll find is that you'll spend nearly as much time fixing the errors as you would typing it, so a transcriptionist is still your best value.
Jim Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2013, 08:39 AM   #12
Inner Circle

I've done a fair amount of research into this and I'm pretty sure the product you want still doesn't exist, although Google has obviously developed the technology.
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2013, 09:21 AM   #13
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Ahrens View Post
Not if I were to judge based on the transcripts that Google Voice generates from my incoming phone calls. Some of the transcripts are literally obscene. I'm surprised they even had those words in their vocabulary. ;-) Always good for a laugh, but I have to play back the voice file to find out what the caller really said.
Greg Miller is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio