5D2 (dSLR), Line Level to Mic Level? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old March 24th, 2010, 02:17 AM   #16
Trustee

Sorry to dig this up but, is there really a big advantge to use the SD302 before the Marantz 661? The 661 sounds very clean with a shotgun like the NTG-2 (heard it from reviews). The bulk and cost is a concern but if the quality is awesome its worth a thought.

Correct me if I'm wrong:
Condenser mic >> SD302 (pre amp to increase the gain) >> M661 (recording unbalanced/mic level input)

Is there a need for a PAD bet the SD302? BTW, does the 661 have an analog limiter or its better to have an external PAD?

I run a line in >> PAD (Rolls -25db) >> H4n currently
Old March 25th, 2010, 01:42 PM   #17
Regular Crew

The SD 302 has 3 channels, pan controls and MS stereo matrix on a pair if you want it. The inputs are transformer balanced and can take line or mic level. Phantom can be 48V, 12V or T, selectable on each channel. Limiters on inputs and outputs. It has far superior meters, 1K tone to set the level into your recorder, no need for a pad into the 661 and it has a slate mic.

The 302 into the 661 is balanced plus you have a second unbalanced output from the 302 that can be run to the camera as a guide track.

You can hold either of them in the palm of your hand. Both easily fit in standard eng bag.
Kirk Candlish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2010, 07:15 PM   #18
Trustee

Thanks Kirk, now i understand the popularity.
Old June 30th, 2010, 09:58 AM   #19
Regular Crew

Proper Pad for Tape Out, Where Buy?

Hey Kirk,

I'm working with the same setup (DSLR/302/Marantz 661) but am just now getting around to linking in the DSLR.

1. What pad cord do you use to go into the DSLR from the tape out?
2. What about when I want to split the Marantz from the 302--like say, if I need to grab some interviews but have the Marantz set up for a concert recording coming up...should I still go tape-out padded to DSLR?
3. If I should use the XLRs in that case, assume I would select Mic Out level (and what pad in that scenario?)?

Thanks, very much appreciate it,

Joe
Joe Bailey Jr. is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio