New Shure lavs, getting no audio at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old January 3rd, 2010, 12:14 PM   #1
Major Player

New Shure lavs, getting no audio

Bear with me all, I'm quite new to this. I recently upgraded some equipment & now have a camera & mixer with XLR audio ability for the first time. In hooking up my mic & XLR externsion, I'm getting no audio signal or levels thru it at all. I'm using a Shure 367 mixer, and trying to go straight to camera, neither gets any levels. I'm at the point of wondering if I should be asking some stupid questions. Here are the details:

The lavs I purchased are these:

Shure | MX185 - Cardioid Wired Lavalier Microphone | MX185 | B&H

The XLR cables are these:

Shure | Triple-Flex Microphone Cable - 25' | C25F | B&H Photo

There wouldn't possibly be some kind of on/off switch for it is there? Or, do the XLR cables need to be phantom powered capable?!

Sorry, I'm just at a loss right now. I reviewed the manual, and it was quite brief, it mentioned adjusting the gain, but nothing about power. Any thoughtsz as to why I'm getting nothing on all levels??

Thanks,
David Barnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2010, 12:28 PM   #2
Major Player

Nevermind. Theres a switch on the back of the mixer which says "Phantom: On/Off" Ugggghhhh, baby steps!
David Barnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2010, 01:16 PM   #3
Trustee

David,
You kind of are learning the first rule of problem solving electronics. Check the power is very high up there. Signal path is another. If you weren't getting anything at the mixer then you should know the problem is between the mixer and mic. Being methodical and keeping calm will help you from overlooking the obvious. Glad it was an easy fix
Daniel Epstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2010, 04:10 PM   #4
Trustee

Glad to hear its was a simple fix.

In case you feel a bit silly to have posted this, it was actually quite useful for the reasons given above. I'm sure most of us here can identify with this situation where just one switch or menu setting has eluded us for a while especially on new equipment and it doesn't do any harm to have a reminder about how to deal with this kind of thing.

Thanks for the follow up post - too many posters seem embarrassed when the solution to a problem occurs shortly after asking for help and don't let us know how it went.
Colin McDonald is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio