beachtek for a sony fx1 is good for a dslr camera? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old January 13th, 2010, 01:50 PM   #1
Trustee

beachtek for a sony fx1 is good for a dslr camera?

Hi guys, was wondering to buy a beachtek for a sony fx1.Iftomorrow i ll decide to buy a camera will i be able to use the beachtel with a dslr camera too?
Why audio is better through phantom?

thx
Marcus Martell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2010, 02:28 PM   #2
Inner Circle

I can speak to the Canon 5D. The beachtek will work, but with autogain on, you can still have issues with noise from autogain. If you use Magic Lantern, you get control of the gain and adjust it manually. However, realistically, you should have a preamp powered unit feeding the 5D. The Juiced Link CX231 is the minimum you will need, to get clean sound.
Old January 13th, 2010, 04:10 PM   #3
Inner Circle

The Beachtek and the juicedLink will both work with the FX1 and a DvSLR (both accept 1/8" plugs with mic level inputs.) The difference between the BT and JL is that the juicedLink provides gain, so the audio will have much lower noise.

The juicedLink CX231 has phantom power. The CX211 does not. Phantom power is required by some microphones. For instance, the Rode NTG-1 requires phantom power. The NTG-2 accepts a battery, so phantom power is optional.

On a budget, you can get the CX211 and a microphone that accepts a battery. For long-term compatibility, I recommend the CX231.

Here are some tests that I did with the juicedLink and the Beachtek products and the Canon 5D Mark II:
Old January 15th, 2010, 02:47 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I have just tested the Juicedlink CX231 and the results are outstanding. Very clear and practically noise free. Highly recommended over the passive beachtek.
Old January 18th, 2010, 03:58 AM   #5
Regular Crew

I have to add my vote for the Juiced Link as well. I have the CX-231 and love it! Virtually no noise from it.
Old January 18th, 2010, 06:07 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Hi Marcus, audio isn't better through phantom - that's simply a convenient way of powering the electret condenser microphone. Audio is better through XLR (as against 1/8" plug)because it allows for long cable runs without interference pickup.

If you just wanted to use the FX1 XLR then I'd say the Beachtec would be fine - I was very happy with my VX2k wired like this years ago. But listen to the other voices here if you're seriously considering the vDSLR route.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2010, 05:06 AM   #7
Trustee

So guys u r convincting me to go 4 Juicedlink CX231, that i could use with a FX1 and a DSLR right?
How much does it cost in USA?I don't know where to get here in EU
thx guys
Marcus Martell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio