exporting audio in 5.1 what to do to realize a dvd at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old January 20th, 2010, 04:04 AM   #1
Regular Crew

exporting audio in 5.1 what to do to realize a dvd

hi, what is the right path to use, i have just edited a video in final cut pro, i sent my sequence (containing a aimple audio track mono ) to soundtrack, there i added effects, music etc. now i want to understand, assuming that destinatin of my work is a dvd pro with audio in 5.1 ac3 what is better to do?
i though at two path

- exporting audio from soundtrack in ac3 , 5.1 panning any single channel at surround panner and exporting with ac3 alghorithm, reopening in final cut pro and exporting there dvd

- exporting from soundtrack 6 bounced mono tracks (mixed corrrrectly with right positioning of any audio elements) and importing them in COMPRESSOR and there with video exported with none audio from FCP combining my dvd

what do you do usually?
thanks
David Aliperti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2010, 04:30 AM   #2
Trustee

Even though I have 5.1 with my pro tools set-up I tend to keep things simple and stick to stereo for 99% of my projects.

As an ex pro dubbing mixer I would not attempt 5.1 unless the production absolutely needed it or had the budget to do it.

So whilst 5.1 has its uses you need to ask yourself is all the extra work involved worth it when most of the people that view your completed project will be listening in stereo?
Old January 20th, 2010, 05:02 AM   #3
Regular Crew

just to experience it, at the moment
David Aliperti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2010, 06:27 AM   #4
Trustee

Ahh I see, have a look at this site it has some good tools for working with and encoding 5.1:Neyrinck Audio
Old January 20th, 2010, 08:20 AM   #5
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aliperti View Post
just to experience it, at the moment
Can you do the experiment and try it both ways? It sounds like an interesting exercise. Please report back here and let us know what you discovered.
Richard Crowley is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio