Has anyone tried the Audio Technica ATR-288W Professional VHF Wireless Lavs? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old January 28th, 2010, 01:53 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Has anyone tried the Audio Technica ATR-288W Professional VHF Wireless Lavs?

If so, what are your thoughts on quality? Are they worth it????? Will they pick up from a pretty good distance?
Reggie Moser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2010, 02:05 PM   #2
Regular Crew

You get what you pay for (Make sure you stand next to the receiver with the transmitter).

Do you think the pros like to pay $700 to $3,000 for a wireless system if they could get a useable system for $130?

I would rather buy a used Sennheiser G2 off of Ebay before purchasing a ATR-288W unit new.
Mark Boyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2010, 02:16 PM   #3
Inner Circle

It would probably be OK for 'home videos' at close range.
But a "PROFESSIONAL" wireless system for $130. I don't think so.
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2010, 02:28 PM   #4
Major Player

It is a workable and useable system. It's drawbacks are that it can be prone to dropouts and interference. I have both a pro AT system and some of the 88's and when everything is working fine they both sound darned good. If however I was in a "have to have it and cannot afford any problems" kind of situation, I'd be wary of the 88's. This is especially true if the talent is moving around.
Chris Swanberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2010, 02:43 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
... I'd be wary of the 88's. This is especially true if the talent is moving around.
And allowing the talent the freedom to move around without dragging wires is about the only reason to use wireless in the first place.
Old January 28th, 2010, 04:12 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Thanks guys for the advice.....I just saved $250.00 bucks on 2 of those puppies......It doesn't pay to go cheap sometimes....lol
Reggie Moser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2010, 11:59 AM   #7
Regular Crew

They aren't frequency agile but since you bought them you should know that now. only an A/B channel so if those aren't working for you then what will you do? As mentioned might want to buy a used Sennheiser G2 system or look at the Audio Technica ATW-1811 series. I actually have a Pro88 and the speaker system that goes with it. I got the whole package brand new for $25 bucks so jumped on it. I use it for small presentations or small home/sit down projects.

Nicole
Nicole Hankerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2010, 03:37 PM   #8
Trustee

I used to use the Audio Technica pro range of long shotgun mics and they were quite good, with a nice round sound if placed close enough to the subjects; so then also tried the radio mics and...well, I thought they were terrible and had no relation to the normal wired shotgun mics!

I'd steer you towards the Sony radio mics, as I have found them to be of far higher quality, in both build and sound quality. Just make sure that you also match it with a decent Sony lapel microphone. As far as radio mics are concerned, you definitely get what you pay for in terms of performance.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio