Sennheiser G2 Evo Wireless Mic has weird sudden clipping/popping/feedback. Why? Help? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old February 5th, 2010, 02:44 PM   #1
Major Player

Sennheiser G2 Evo Wireless Mic has weird sudden clipping/popping/feedback. Why? Help?

Hi there,

My Sennheiser G2 Evo Wireless Mic has weird sudden clipping/popping/feedback.

An example is here (starting at 15 sec in) YouTube - Sound test Sennheiser G2 Evolution wireless mike

Whats wrong and how do I fix it?

It's done this before so I bought a new lav mic and it seemed to work find for a while, but now I get this cracking any so often. Maybe it's something loose in the transmitter?

I'm hoping that someone here has had this happen and can shed some light on the situation.

Ron
Ronald Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2010, 03:41 PM   #2
Major Player

I've found that some of the Sennheiser units' antennas are very susceptible to noise issues. If they get bent a bit they can cause the kind of crackle you are talking about. Make sure that you are orienting the antenna vertically, and check for any kinks in the antenna. One audio package I used to work with had a Senny unit mounted in the mixer bag and if your hand accidentally hit the antenna while you were turning a pot or something, it would cause that kind of drop out noise. Other than that are the usual thoughts about checking frequencies, interference, etc.

Have fun!

Rob
Rob Neidig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2010, 03:52 PM   #3
Major Player

It could be this problem http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-thin...av-system.html

I set the pilot on and the squelch to high and maybe that will block out any interfereence.

Otherwise the problem is something in the tramsitter or mic connection...
Old September 20th, 2010, 12:30 AM   #4
Major Player

Did you manage to fix this problem as I am having similar. I orginally has problems with the connection on the transmitter but that is now fine but I still get that intermittent crackle which and it drives me nuts!
Jonathan Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2010, 07:02 AM   #5
Major Player

Intermittent crackling can be caused by damage to the mic. cable if you don't take care of it properly - or if you have not screwed in the connectors properly.

Some people tend to wind the mic. cable round the transmitter when they take it off. This can easily damage the cable, especially if you wind it tightly.
Old September 20th, 2010, 03:46 PM   #6
Major Player

Thanks for the fast response John, I am pretty anal with taking care for the cable but I might look at getting a replacement and seeing if it makes any difference. IT is really intermittent so very annoying trying to track down the problem. grrrrrrr
Jonathan Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2010, 06:37 PM   #7
Major Player

It turned out to be the mic cable. Where the wire inserts to the plug isn't made very well (even spoke to Sennheiser about that and they say so). You can get replacement plugs if that is the case or a new mic.
Old September 20th, 2010, 07:07 PM   #8
Trustee

When I shot for a newspaper web site, we had G2 units with intermittent problems like this. Turned out it was interferance caused by various cell phones being close to the units. Blackberries are the worst. Just a thought....
Battle Vaughan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio