XLR adapter Question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old February 23rd, 2010, 05:43 AM   #1
Regular Crew

XLR adapter Question

Centrios Microphone Extension Cable | Microphones | TheSource.ca

I haver been reading a lot about the beachtek adaptor and was considering it, but what does it do that this way cheaper alternative above doesn't do? Is there a quality difference or just that it has 2 inputs, which I don't need. I just want to be able to use the handheld mic I already own.

Thanks in advance!!!

FYI I have a 1/4' to mini jack adapter already
Shawn Legg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2010, 07:02 AM   #2
Major Player

I use this one for on camera use. Hosa Technology | Mini Stereo Male to 3-pin XLR | XVM-101F | B&H
Old February 23rd, 2010, 07:27 AM   #3
Trustee

I make my own. And hundreds of other people have apparently made their own also, judging from the popularity of my web page...
Camcorder Mic Adapters
Richard Crowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2010, 07:28 AM   #4
Trustee

Quote:
I haver been reading a lot about the beachtek adaptor and was considering it, but what does it do that this way cheaper alternative above doesn't do? Is there a quality difference or just that it has 2 inputs, which I don't need. I just want to be able to use the handheld mic I already own
The Beachtek has isolation transformers in it so the mic line is balanced, those cables do not. Also some of the Beachtek units supply phantom power, those cables do not. If you have a mic that needs phantom power then the cables are useless. If you have a dynamic handheld mic and you only need to use it with a few metres of mic cable then you will possibly be OK using an unbalanced mic line.

That said I'd really avoid putting a 3.5mm to 1/4" adaptor into a camera and then pluging a 1/4" to XLR cable into that. Thos 3.5mm sockets are pretty weak and replacing one could be expensive. Better to get a lighter cable or use solid velcro cable ties for strain relief near where the cable goes into the camera.
Bob Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2010, 07:39 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Both of those adapters will unbalance the connection, maybe not a problem if you are camera mounting the mic, but anything more than that is a bad idea. The Hosa looks like shoddy construction to me (most of their stuff is junk), with the poorly made female XLR end. Using a quarter inch adapter with the Centrios adapter is just asking for trouble.

Using a transformer box like those made by SignVideo and Beachtek is the way to go. For one thing, it will protect your mic input if somebody trips on the cable, plus it keeps the connection balanced.

If you must get an unbalanced adapter cable, at least get one with a Neutrik connector:

Pro Co Sound | Mono Mini Male to XLR Female Cable - 5 | SHMXF-5

Mogami | Gold Stereo Mini Male to 3-Pin XLR | GOLD-XLRF-MINI-018

Better to stay balanced with the Shure A96F, which has a transformer and blocks DC voltage:

Shure - A96F Camcorder Interface
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2010, 07:43 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Hey Richard, cool site!
Old February 23rd, 2010, 12:13 PM   #7
Major Player

Oh great Marco, that's just what I wanted to hear, my cable is a piece of junk. :) I'm kinda dense when it comes to audio. I guess for 10 bucks you don't have to be to smart to figure out it's made cheap. Good to know Hosa stuff is low quality though.....for next time.
Old February 23rd, 2010, 01:09 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Well hey if it's working, don't sweat it. Just keep an eye on the connection. Also, I just noticed that the Pro Co cable I linked to is mono only, so that's not a good one to get. It will probably route the signal to just one side and possibly cause interference, so apologies for posting that link.
Old February 24th, 2010, 04:13 AM   #9
Regular Crew

thanks a lot for the replies guys. maybe it might be worth the extra cash after all, at least I will get a cable that is balanced and already has the minijack connection like that $65 one that was suggested.
Shawn Legg is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio