Rode NTG-2 or AT897???? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old March 7th, 2010, 08:22 AM   #16
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan Black View Post
Colin no you don't have to take the battery out of an NTG-2 after each session, the mic definately will not flatten the battery overnight.

But don't leave it installed and forget about it.

Cheers.
OK I'm an old fusspot and am just in the habit of taking batteries out of things if I don't know when they will next be needed. I use my NTG-2 much more on phantom power than batteries anyway - so ignore me.

I was sure I remembered that this came up before but couldn't find the thread until now http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-thin...y-battery.html
So my memory isn't completely shot yet! But this was a one off (which I didn't remember) and no other similar problems have been reported here.

I also thought I remembered that the instructions recommended taking them out (they do) but that will almost certainly be to avoid the situation Allan has described.

BTW I had a faulty new Duracell AA recently that leaked almost right away and the plastic coating was damaged too, so I had to clean the battery compartment of a radio scanner.
Now that's the first one encountered out of hundreds of Duracells used over the years so this isn't a big deal, just to say it might be worth keeping an eye on installed batteries. I use a tester anyway to check the cells for my Senny G2 set and all my other toys Digital Battery Tester : Battery Testers : Maplin
Colin McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2010, 03:08 PM   #17
New Boot

I'm also planning to buy ntg-2 very soon.

Want to ask you guys; do I also need a dynamic mic for interviews (like Shure SM63); or can I use ntg-2 for interviews as well?
Ahmet Toca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2010, 03:12 PM   #18
Major Player

Ahmet,

Personally I prefer to use my ElektroVoice RE50 as handheld mic for interviews. Though, I think the NTG-2 is able to do the job as well.
Gabor Heeres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2010, 03:36 PM   #19
Inner Circle

It depends on your setup .. handheld interviews .. on camera .. on the street .. 2 or more people?

With a good operator the NTG-2 will work on a boom out over 2 or more people .. but using it handheld is never a good idea. In a 2person interview waving a shotgun at the subject is intimidating and likely to take an eye out.

Cheers.
Old March 12th, 2010, 04:28 PM   #20
Trustee

And don't ever wave a shotgun mic about when interviewing a swan - it might break your arm.

:-)
Colin McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2010, 04:47 PM   #21
New Boot

Yeah I agree; it will be quite scary for the people to interview :)

But I think I'm gonna take rode, I think I can use it for multi purposes. if can't; later I may buy dynamic mic too.
Ahmet Toca is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio