Best Solution For Canon 7D? Thinking About Taking It Back... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old March 5th, 2010, 07:59 PM   #1
Major Player

Best Solution For Canon 7D? Thinking About Taking It Back...

i bought a canon 7d thinking about taking it back because of the stupid "auto gain control"...

i did find a beachtek unit, and i was wondering is this signal that is placed in the right channel really apparent or is it truely in the 20khz area?

i have a recording studio/soundlab so i can shelf eq or brickwall anything above 17khz and that will eliminate it right?

also is most movies audio recorded mono with one condenser? or is it 2? cause i was thinking about 1 mic over the foreground for subjects in the main scene and one somewhere else for ambience...

any help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

thanks

corey
Corey Benoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2010, 08:22 PM   #2
Inner Circle

You can use The juicedLink CX211 or CX231 with a DN101 to amplify the signal and defeat the AGC. Or you can use a recorder like the Zoom H4n if you want to record separately and sync later, like people have been doing with film forever.

And yes, dialog is generally mono. If people are close to one another and you have a good boom operator, then one mic will do. If you will use lavaliers (clip on mics), then you will want to record multiple channels so you can balance things in post. If people don't step on one another's lines, then you can mix down to one channel and still be able to process each actor's lines separately. If it's a Mamet script, people talk at the same time, so you'll want separate channels.

In any case, dialog in the final product is generally mono. On a surround system, it comes from the center channel.
Old March 5th, 2010, 08:23 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Separate recorder.

And/or just hire a sound guy.

In post, the boom mic is king. Wireless mics are 2nd, plant mics are 3rd. And the goal of ALL of them is capturing the dialog well.

Other than that, nothing is used. Recording ambience in a 2nd track is honestly not of any help. Just get the dialog clearly and post can handle the rest.
Alex Donkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2010, 08:35 PM   #4
Major Player

is the signal created by the dn101 very audible or is it truely 20khz? if it is i can just shelf it out with powerful eq settings....right?

which is better juicedlink or beachtek? there is a new beachtek unit for 399 coming at the end of the month that is supposed to have new phantom powered pre-amps with the agc defeater?

any news on canon doing the agc removal with firmware?
Old March 5th, 2010, 08:44 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I'm not sure which of those is better, but I am sure that it won't make a difference if you're running into the 7D. None of the current DSLRs (that I've seen at least) have anything close to good audio.

If you want to run your main audio to camera, get a different camera.
Old March 5th, 2010, 09:15 PM   #6
Major Player

well the 7d does 48khz, and if i use a good pre-amp and a great mic, it would be almost unnoticeable right?
Old March 5th, 2010, 10:53 PM   #7
Regular Crew

That still would leave you without any way to monitor the audio, as 7D only outputs sound on playback, not during recording.

Even if the AGC could be defeated (until someone does and posts real results, I'm not buying it) the ADC (analog to digital converter) is likely suspect as well. Since no one's ever used the camera without AGC as the chief thing to screw up audio, it's hard to say but I doubt they put anything quality in there.

On top of that, although people mention 48k, there's a lack of into about what bit-depth the camera uses. It's either 12-bit or 16-bit. 16-bit is okay, but with AGC a 12-bit recorder could easily be what Canon used. No one seems to know though and Canon hasn't posted specs that I've seen.
Old March 5th, 2010, 11:25 PM   #8
Major Player

there was this forum coffee something, and the guy tested the new beachtek dxa-slr with the phantom power and pre-amps, with monitor leveling, and it sounded really clean and good in the camera....

i believe its 16bit as it sounds like it..if it were 12bit and 48khz, it would be really muffled and oversampled sounding....
Old March 5th, 2010, 11:28 PM   #9
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey Benoit View Post
there was this forum coffee something
here'd be my best guess on that:

COFFEY INTERACTIVE • Index page

Didn't know they had a forum but I've shopped there, they are one of the two top production audio resources in LA.
Old March 6th, 2010, 09:54 AM   #10
Inner Circle

It is my understanding that Canon just released a firmware update that includes manual record level control and a meter in the VF.
Apparently someone at Canon is listening.
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2010, 10:11 AM   #11
Trustee

Does the firmware update apply for the 7D or just the 5d Mark II which it is a major change for?
Daniel Epstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2010, 10:15 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Not for 7D

Firmware upgrade is for 5DII, not the 7D.
Stephen Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2010, 10:45 AM   #13
Inner Circle

Man, to me, double system is the only option with that camera. Every other work around is just so much lipstick on a pig.
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2010, 10:55 AM   #14
Major Player

From what I've read about all the HDSLRs, double system is required and the tool of choice seems to be the relatively inexpensive H4n by Zoom.

Record your audio directly to the zoom. Camera captures images and reference audio to sync the images with the Zoom's sound files. Some people use a plug in called Plural Eyes to do this. I've only used the 7d once but was able to sync the sound based on a hand-clap at the beginning of the scenes. Not hard at all and didn't require software.

Double system sound is a good option even if you don't "need" it. I realized last week there are times I need audio from a workshop or some other activity but the action is dull. I dont want to run the camera just for the audio. A standalone recorder would solve that.

Last edited by Bob Kerner; March 6th, 2010 at 10:56 AM. Reason: spelling
Bob Kerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2010, 06:55 PM   #15
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco Leavitt View Post
Man, to me, double system is the only option with that camera. Every other work around is just so much lipstick on a pig.

according to this guy, the juicedlink has a better preamp and cleaner more natural sound than the "seperate" recording devices that are out now...

including the h4n, and the m-audio...check it out...if the firmware comes out for 7d anytime soon, seems like juicedlink is the only real option...

Corey Benoit is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio