Zoom H2 - record using input and built-in mic? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old March 25th, 2010, 01:18 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Zoom H2 - record using input and built-in mic?

Hello,

I'm looking into buying a Zoom H2 for the events I film and I thought of something interesting I was hoping to do.

Can you record using the built-in mic AND an external mic?

It would be pretty cool to record a concert, for example, with a feed from the mixer with the vocal mics in the left channel, and the overal sound using the built-in mic in the right channel.

Or is this something the H4 can do, since it has 2 XLR inputs? (so if I'm not able to record with an input and built-in mic, then at least I can use one input with a direct feed from the mixer, and one input for an external mic?)

But then again I can probably get 2 H2's for the price of an H4 and record them separately :p
Chris Estrella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2010, 02:24 AM   #2
Trustee

The manual (p18) says: 'When a cable is plugged into one of these jacks [external mic or line in], the built-in mics are turned off.'
Renton Maclachlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2010, 09:45 AM   #3
Inner Circle

The Zoom H4n does specifically that!

Record 4-channels (that's the "4" in H4n), two from the stereo pair of mics (or 3.5mm input) and the other two from the XLR/TRS inputs.

The manual is not very helpful for this mode (manual is not very helpful, period!), but, I was able to figure it out with some determination and the H4n in my hand.

Of course it's a lot bigger than the H2... and doesn't have surround mics.
Old March 25th, 2010, 10:04 AM   #4
Inner Circle

I have a Zoom H2 and one other thing to note is that the input mic jack is pretty noisy - much worse than the noise floor when using the on-board mics, which as stated are disabled when you use it. Seems this option brings out the worst in the Zoom H2's amplifier. There is very detailed info about all this on the Zoom forum and how best to use a H2 - just google it.

I find I get best results with the 4 on-board stereo mics configured in 2 of the various options available (2 at 90 degress or 2 at 120 degrees - I personally never use the surround sound with all 4) and of course making sure it's pretty close to the sound source.

My opinion is that it's not a bad unit (especially for the price!) but I just accept it's got limited utility regarding plugging any mic into it so don't do that - I use a Fostex FR2-LE for those things.
Old March 30th, 2010, 03:46 PM   #5
Trustee

Seth, which settings have you dialled in to the H4n to record the two onboard stereo mics at the same time as two mics plugged into the XLR ports?
Old March 30th, 2010, 08:28 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Page 37-39. MENU > MODE > 4CH.
Old March 30th, 2010, 10:38 PM   #7
Inner Circle

What Adam said!

Plus, please review post 95 in this thread:
http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/all-thin...ml#post1073003

Part of the 150-post thread when the H4n first came out, I was pretty happy to discover that when in 4-ch record mode, there is a new menu function that comes available, "mixer", allowing independent recording level control.
Old March 31st, 2010, 01:43 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Estrella View Post
But then again I can probably get 2 H2's for the price of an H4 and record them separately :p
You might want to hold off until the Zoom H1 ships:

Zoom H1 – Sneak Peak VIDEO

Last edited by Stan Chase; March 31st, 2010 at 02:27 AM.
Stan Chase is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio