Good outside 1 person interview mic? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old April 11th, 2010, 07:17 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Good outside 1 person interview mic?

Need to purchase a mic for stationary outdoor interviews. Just one subject interviewed with the camera pretty tight on their upper torso so should be always be able to get within 3-5' with the mic. Wind and handling noise resistance would seem to be important as would keying in on just their voice vs all the other real world noise that may be encountered.

PS - I have a Oktava mic for interviews indoors but despite a baby ball gag and a dead cat it does not seem very well suited for outdoors.

as always thanks for the shared wisdom :)
Old April 11th, 2010, 08:38 AM   #2
Inner Circle

3-5 feet is a significant distance for interview audio, a lav would yield the most isolation from extraneous noise. Otherwise a good quality long-shotgun with wind protection.
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2010, 01:10 PM   #3
Regular Crew

In that situation, I would use either a shotgun on a boom (1st preference), or a lav (wired or wireless, second and third preference). Another option, if you don't mind them holding a mic, would be an RE50 or other hand-held omni mic. You really need to get the mic within 18" or less of their mouth. With a fairly tight shot, this should not be a problem with a boom.
Andy Balla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2010, 07:48 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Right on, hoping to do it without a lav or holding a mic for more of that unscripted / documentary / invisible audio feel :)

Got a nice Ktech boom but maybe my distance estimate was off - the subject will be pretty tightly cropped as far as headroom so maybe its more like 2-3'.

fave shotguns anyone?
Old April 12th, 2010, 08:47 AM   #5
Trustee

I will echo what Andy said!
Old April 12th, 2010, 11:17 AM   #6
Trustee

What's your budget for the mic, shockmount and wind protection?

I know the outside environment will be variable, but do you envision working more in average noise levels or louder and more crowded events?
Jay Massengill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2010, 02:23 PM   #7
Trustee

Wind protection.

The CineCity*::*Microphone Accessories*::*Cine Blimp Shockmount system*::*BMP60 S Blimp Windshield

I have one. It is great. Get through Ebay.
Renton Maclachlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2010, 10:05 PM   #8
Regular Crew

On the lower end of investment, I like the Audio-Technica AT8015 for exteriors....
Audio-Technica | AT8015 - Shotgun Microphone | AT8015 | B&H
Put this mic on a boom pole, with appropriate shock-mount and a Rycote Softie (only if there is wind, of course) and you're good. The mic is phantom powered, but can use an AA battery for power. Price is less than $300, and if you have a good boom op, the results should be totally workable, Andy
Andy Balla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2010, 07:38 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Hey Jay, my budget is flexible, whatever it takes to get good audio. In general the recording environment, although outdoors, will be as quite as I can find / make it. No plans for trying to record at a sporting event or near heavy traffic etc. Will make every effort to isolate the subject and shot in a fairly quiet place; a farmer in a field, a golfer on the course, a ceo in an office park, etc. Wind however is something I won't have much control over of course.

Jumping over to B&H now to check on Andys recomendation. Additional recommendations appreciated.

Thanks for the help :)
Old April 13th, 2010, 09:53 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Hi Greg.............

I swear by this for single handed interviews. A shock mount and handle and a Rycote softie and away you go.

Sennheiser | ME66/K6 - Super-Cardioid Mic | ME66/K6 COMBO | B&H

Bit more pricey than the AT tho'.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio