Emergency, help with AT899 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old April 18th, 2010, 01:35 PM   #16
Inner Circle

HC7 mic input is STEREO 1/8" R/T/S.
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2010, 03:09 PM   #17
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Blackhurst View Post
Then, would a continuity test across the Tip and Ring indicating continuity (meaning that they WERE tied together) mean that the fault is NOT the cable? ie. The +tive XLR pin is tied to both Tip and Ring and therefore would appear IN PHASE on both sides of "stereo"?
Old April 18th, 2010, 04:17 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Blackhurst View Post
Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun Roemich View Post
Then, would a continuity test across the Tip and Ring indicating continuity (meaning that they WERE tied together) mean that the fault is NOT the cable? ie. The +tive XLR pin is tied to both Tip and Ring and therefore would appear IN PHASE on both sides of "stereo"?
So where does this leave me? If the camera input is stereo, and the pearson is wired to present 'dual mono' to the Sony, am I closer to determining that I have a bad power module?

I think I've reasonably removed the camera as the culprit. Soooo...

If I can find a known (to function) XLR mic, I can test the Pearson with the HC-7. If this passes....

Test the 15" XLR extension cable with the Pearson and HC-7, if this passes....

Test the AT899 with a (known to work) XLR mixer supplying power directly to the mic and bypassing the power module? <- Is this how these types of gear work? (or do I always have the power module inline?)

BTW, thanks for all the support so far.
Colin Sato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2010, 05:12 PM   #19
Inner Circle

Do you have access to a multimeter with continuity testing? If so, test to see if there is continuity between the Tip and the Ring - the outer two most partitions of the 1/8" plug. If you have continuity, it's not a phase issue. COULD still be the cable but it isn't wired "wrong" then.
Old April 18th, 2010, 05:22 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Sadly my old VU meter tester is long lost in the mix of boxes in the garage/closet/attic. Really, it's a old style VU meter! How quaint.
Old April 18th, 2010, 08:05 PM   #21
Regular Crew

OK, I just got back from Radio Shack and here's what I've learned. First and foremost, the mic, battery pack, an extension cord seem to be fine. This was tested by hooking all the components together, and then using a mono 1/4 inch phono to XLR connector, attached to one of their PA systems. This worked fine. Then, as another test, I connected the 1/4 inch to the Sony camcorder via a 1/8 inch mono connector. This worked fine as well.

Unfortunately this setup is not usable in the field as the XLR connector + 1/4 inch adapter + 1/8 inch adapter puts way too much strain on the camcorder microphone input. (not to mention it sticks out almost 6 inches). I need to find this setup attached to a cable so I can strain relieve it, but I think I'm on my way to getting a working set up. Thanks to everybody for listening! I'll be sure to check back once I've got it all working.
Old April 18th, 2010, 09:13 PM   #22
Inner Circle

How about grabbing a female 1/8" TS to 1/8" male TS cable to add strain relief? Less than elegant but it will get you running in your time frame, which I understand is urgent.
Old April 19th, 2010, 02:45 AM   #23
Regular Crew

Fortunately, one of my " twitter friends" is in the audio business. He has offered to manufacture an XLR to 1/8" adapter for me. For about $30 he can make it any length for me and test it to make sure it'll work. I'm going over to his place in the morning to git it a go. Crossing fingers
Old April 19th, 2010, 07:26 PM   #24
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Soucy View Post
If it's a "real" mic input I can't see what that Pearstone is doing in there, apart from stopping it working.
CS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Soucy View Post
I think I may have led you seriously astray with my last post.
Maybe there's nothing wrong with your original mic?
CS
Well it seems that your first suggestion was correct! LOL, by choosing both sides, you essentially guaranteed that you would be correct!

Essentially, this is exactly the problem. The transformer was canceling the signal out. I am left to wonder why B&H recommended the transformer for me. This one part might have gotten the entire kit and caboodle returned. I have my new custom cable, XLR to 1/8 mono with 4 feet of cable. Ran me $25 and the guy kindly fixed the short in my old mic's mini plug (there was a problem).

Thanks everybody, now all have to worry about is ....the whole part of the video project that doesn't include audio...Aloha! - Colin
Colin Sato is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio