How do I use rode video mic + H4n to record at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old April 20th, 2010, 12:19 PM   #1
Major Player

How do I use rode video mic + H4n to record

HI,
I have a rode video mic, and H4n,
I want to use it such that H4n gets ambience, while the rode gets interview voice.
What else do I need on this setup?

H4n cant use the built in mic, if I attached the rode to the mini jack

Or is this a good idea?
Old April 20th, 2010, 12:58 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Don't record them together. For the interview you want a track that has a little outside sound as possible intruding onto the speech. For ambience, you only want the background sounds of the location. Then in post you add them together. If you try to record the interview and the ambience at the same time, there will be 'bleed' of the interview conversation into the ambience track, making it difficult to blend them seamlessly later on.
Old April 20th, 2010, 05:55 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Steve's answer is a good one in terms of optimal workflow for voice/interview/narrative recording, which was what Sigmund was asking about.

More commonly, one might take an "ambience mic plus spot-mics" approach when recording music. I've been doing a series of 4ch. recordings on the H4n these last couple weeks - an M/S stereo mic plugged into the mini jack, and two mics into the XLR inputs. That the recording level of the XLRs is linked is a little bit of a hassle, but, it's working.

You do need to somehow use the XLR inputs as well as the x/y pair or mini-input.

As the OP pointed out, as soon as one plugs into the mini-jack, the onboard mics are disabled. Meaning, no matter how you approach it, the XLR inputs need to have something feeding them in order to record more than 2ch, whether that original 2ch. is the onboard or a mic attached with a mini cable.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio