Mic for HPX370 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old April 22nd, 2010, 09:55 PM   #1
Major Player

Mic for HPX370

The HPX370 and 300 come standard without a microphone. I need one, so I started going about searching for the appropriate one. The MC200 is expensive for what it is. I know there are cheaper camera shogun mics out there, but I don't want a cheesy or acoustically cheap one. Since I eventually need a boom shotgun mic, probably the Rode NTG-3, I might as well get that one and put in on cam, and pole it when needed.

Anyone want to share their thoughts on that?
Frederic Segard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2010, 12:32 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
I'd want a little wider pattern on an oncamera mic. I had a Sennheiser ME66 mounted on my JVC HD200 until last week. I will be mounting a RODE NTG-2 on camera next month and getting an NTG-3 for my boom.
Old April 23rd, 2010, 04:35 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Yep the current bang for your buck is the NTG-3. Cheers.
Old April 24th, 2010, 12:12 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Hi Frederic:

You won't go wrong with the NTG-3, I recently reviewed it for HD Video Pro. An outstanding mic for the money. But if money is tight, might I suggest the Audio Technica AT875R? I am a champion for this unknown mic, hardly anybody knows about it. It was specifically designed as an on-camera mic yet sounds really quite exquisite as a boom mic as well. I used mine just this week for a PBS special I shot in Branson and the sound was great. This mic streets for under $200.00, is smaller, lighter and more resistant to handling noise than any of the popular kids in the class.

I like the fact that it is also the smallest true shotgun on the market, very handy when shooting with wide angle lenses. You may find that an NTG-3 or similar type of mic shows up in the upper right hand corner of your picture when camera mounted and you are shooting with a wide lens.

You can hear the AT-875R in my article, I recorded quite a few clips with it As I Hear It - Choosing the Right Microphone

Cheers,

Dan
Dan Brockett is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio