Sen - ME66 (JVC GY HD) - Outdoor usage? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old May 22nd, 2010, 06:51 AM   #1
Trustee

Sen - ME66 (JVC GY HD) - Outdoor usage?

Hi guys

I have a JVC GY HD110 + ME66 for primarily outdoor usage.

I'm aware I'm picking up a lot of buffeting/wind movement noise.

I am using a fluffy on the mic (on top of a sponge head). The fluffy is a cheap one although I'm not sure how much difference this would really make.

I've also noticed the camera has a wind reduction setting although I havent tested it out yet and I'm wondering what folks think about features like this?

Anyway I'm looking for tips/suggestions on good outdoor mic setup and usage?

Many thanks
Mat
Mat Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2010, 07:39 AM   #2
Inner Circle

What's a fluffy?

I have one of these:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/207238-REG/Rycote_033052_Standard_Hole_Softie_Windscreen.html
Wind noise is a thing of the past. In heavy wind, you might want to go to a full zepplin with windsock setup...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/478488-REG/Sennheiser_BS2_Blimp_System_f_ME.html

Good luck...
Old May 22nd, 2010, 09:22 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Though I'm not familiar with that particular camera the 'wind' setting would be a low-cut filter. (aka, hi-pass filter) It can help, as long as there is no low frequencies your want to capture. For instance, in an interview/dialog situation, the human voice has little energy below 100Hz., so using the 'wind' filter would be an option. As previously stated, a zeppelin set-up offers the best wind protection, but it's rather large and bulky for camera mount.
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2010, 10:12 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Mat:

I assume that you have the bass roll off that is present on the K6 power supply activated? That would be your first place to begin.

I have the Lightwave version of the Rycote that Perrone linked to, works great even in high wind with the ME-66. Very little buffeting or wind noise. I also agree with Rick, the best setup is a full zeppelin but that is not practical for camera mounting.

Dan
Dan Brockett is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio