Studio or Field mic - what are the differences? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old July 14th, 2010, 12:14 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Just about the biggest feature of the NT1-A for nature work is its very low self noise so you can wind it right up. The negative side .. there's no low cut so the slightest breath on the capsule will be heard. It won't fit the Rode Blimp, and some might find needing 48V a problem.

Some of the best nature sounds I've heard are stereo with a great soundfield at night. The Rode NT4 is stereo will take a 9V battery, no low cut but it will fit in the Blimp. The response is 20-20Khz and for nature work it'll stand some high frequency roll off when in the Blimp. I tape some fresh silicagel sachets inside the Blimp with it.
Cheers.
Old July 14th, 2010, 06:08 AM   #17
Major Player

Thanks for the continuing interest in this post. I have done some reading on parabolic reflectors. Low frequency problems seem to be related to focal length of the reflector as well as to its diameter. Better low frequency responses are apparently to be had from large diameter short focal length reflectors. I am sure that the directionality of the reflector could be an advantage if you know the exact source of the sound, however as I am interested in nocturnal animals that may call briefly and occasionally and possibly while moving, this directionality may not be such a good thing.

Currently I am exploring the possibilities of the Rode NT1-A. I have experimented with the NT1-A in a Rode blimp but have had trouble with handling noise, padding the blimp handle with sponge rubber proved to be ineffective. However I have found that suspending the Rode shock mount from rubber bands eliminated the handling noise problem. With the extra level of isolation I can now use the full gain of my recorder without being bothered by handling issues. Another problem with the Rode blimp is that it uncomfortable to use with a side address microphone.

Unlike the PCM-D50’s inbuilt mics the NT1-A seems not to be unduly sensitive to wind noise.
Alastair Traill is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio