Drivers for Iriver 790-890? - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old March 2nd, 2013, 08:59 AM   #31
Inner Circle

Re: Drivers for Iriver 790-890?

Greg's suggestion to keep an old XP laptop around got me thinking ... which version of Windows 7 are you using? If you have Win 7 Professional or Enterprise, a fully licensed virtual machine installation of Win XP is part of the package, no separate physical computer required. You need to download the installation files from the MS website but installing the virtual PC on your Win 7 machine would let you run those drivers within it. The data files created or edited in the VM are accessible to the Win 7 side of the partition. Alas, if you have the Win 7 home versions the Virtual PC utility isn't available for it.
Old March 2nd, 2013, 08:22 PM   #32
Regular Crew

Greg,
I get what you're saying about the irivers but I beg to differ. I own 2 Tascam DSR-100 MII's, but I honestly still prefer my irivers. Although I now use them mainly as backup. But often times in post I wind up using the audio from the iriver. I've used them long enough to know how to set my levels and then slide the lock switch and forget it. The irivers have saved me many times as I mainly record dialogue. I think it's one the best devices ever made, even though they weren't made for this purpose per say.
AL
Al Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2013, 02:15 AM   #33
Regular Crew

Thank you very much Greg Miller for recommending
Sony ICD-SX700 (internal RAM only)
Tascam DR-03 (micro SDHC).
Tascam DR-07 and
Alesis PalmTrack (SDHC machines)

All of which seem very suitable as recorders. I generally use my iFPs for listening to music and only a couple of times for really good audio (it seemed to me). I still use my iFPs (I have two, the displays slowly go) which I access with old XP machines that I have lying around.

If one has Windows 7 Home Premium (as I do) then XP mode is not available but apparently one can install a virtual machine
Create an XP Mode for Windows 7 Home Versions & Vista
if one has a spare copy of XP. I did this and failed to access my player but I read that if one goes "to Control Panel->settings->hardware->device manager->usb and load the drive (automatically)" then the virtual XP will see the player.
Timothy Takemoto is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio