Which of these Sennheiser wireless mics is best for interviewing? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old June 23rd, 2010, 01:13 PM   #16
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enzo Giobbé View Post

The extra length of either mic is an important interview feature. Senny made it that way after looking at many, many on-camera interviews.
Agreed, I really like the length.
Vincent Rozenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2010, 06:41 AM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syeed Ali View Post
I was going to get the MD42 but it's too long, although I may get one later.
The extra length is essential in an interview mic. and you will find that interview mics. by all manufacturers have this extra long shaft (eg: the EV and Beyer).
Old June 26th, 2010, 10:39 AM   #18
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Willett View Post
The extra length is essential in an interview mic. and you will find that interview mics. by all manufacturers have this extra long shaft (eg: the EV and Beyer).
Probably a dumb question, but why is the extra length essential?

Got the RE50 and the Sennheiser add on yesterday. Haven't had a chance to test it yet, but here's a pic.
Attached Thumbnails
Which of these Sennheiser wireless mics is best for interviewing?-re50.jpg  
Syeed Ali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2010, 11:31 AM   #19
Inner Circle

Typically, when encountering a 'media circus' or 'gang bang', a reporter may be standing behind other reporters, The extra reach can get the mic closer to the source.
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2010, 01:50 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Reineke View Post
Typically, when encountering a 'media circus' or 'gang bang', a reporter may be standing behind other reporters, The extra reach can get the mic closer to the source.
Ahhh... makes sense now. Thanks Rick.
Old June 28th, 2010, 12:26 PM   #21
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syeed Ali View Post
Probably a dumb question, but why is the extra length essential?
It makes the microphone comfortable to hold.

Holding the mic. with your arm horizontal brings the capsule to the best height for interviewing. It's more comfortable with less arm strain.
Old July 2nd, 2010, 10:35 AM   #22
Regular Crew

Senni's the way to go!

I agree with John about the MD46. I use this as my go-to mic at the many trade shows I shoot for various expo management companies. There's always a lot of racket on a trade show floor and the "46" with a butt plug is wonderful for freedom of movement and isolation of less-than-desirable sound. Even with the mic flag on the handle, there's plenty of room for even a large hand. The EV that you bought is a good mic, though, and should serve you well.

~TW
Rule #1: Don't sweat the small stuff. Rule #2: It's ALL small stuff!
Terry Wall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2010, 02:44 AM   #23
Regular Crew

Thought I'd update on what's happened so far.

As I've posted up already, I got the RE50. I also got the MD42 soon after as I now have two presenters.

Both microphones have the Sennheiser SKP 100 wireless sender attached to them. Unfortunatly, whilst it screws onto the MD42 securely, it doesn't on the RE50. A couple of times it fell off. The shape of the RE50 bottom won't allow a good connection.

I now have to get another MD42 mic. The RE50 will be relegated to wired duty only now.

Here's a picture of my kit so far. I also have an NGT2 which will be replaced by an NGT3 soon.

Thanks again for all the advice.
Attached Thumbnails
Which of these Sennheiser wireless mics is best for interviewing?-sound-case-2.jpg  
Old July 14th, 2010, 04:57 AM   #24
Inner Circle

Rather annoyingly, I'm just off to the dentist, having chipped my front tooth by smacking MYSELF in the mouth with a Sennheiser! Serves me right - I had 3 in one hand, testing them all, and wasn't paying attention. I wonder if I should do an advert? "I was testing 3 microphones, and was not paying attention. I got precisely nothing from haveihadanaccident-tough.com".
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2010, 06:17 AM   #25
Major Player

I've noticed that once the ring is partially tightened on the SKP 100, you have to push it into the mic to ensure that the locking tab has caught. Once it has, then you can tighten the ring the rest of the way. If you look at how it works, the ring actually exposes the locking tab, since there's not exterior button like on regular XLR female connectors. I have a mic (Electro-Voice, actually) that I have to do this to so the transmitter stays on.
Edward Carlson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio