dynamic mic with wireless xmitter? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

All Things Audio
Everything Audio, from acquisition to postproduction.

Old June 30th, 2010, 05:32 AM   #16
Major Player

I too was looking for a cable to go from an ew transmitter to mic...

It looks like the Sennheiser CM1 does not have the locking mini plug

but the Sennheiser CL2 does have the locking mini plug - it is a 6' cable and it is about half the cost.

Am I missing something?
Kevin Spahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2010, 06:49 AM   #17
Inner Circle

The CL2 is wired to send a LINE level signal into the transmitter, not the MIC level signal you need. The line signal hot goes to the ring of the TRS plug while the mic signal hot goes to the tip.
Old June 30th, 2010, 07:02 AM   #18
Major Player

Somebody at B&H should change their description :

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/217589-REG/Sennheiser_CL2_CL_2_Transmitter_Line_Cable.html

Does the CM1 have a locking mini plug? The picture at B&H doesn't look like it does.

Both item descriptions at B&H mentions line level or microphone level.
Old June 30th, 2010, 07:07 AM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Spahr View Post
I too was looking for a cable to go from an ew transmitter to mic...

but the Sennheiser CL2 does have the locking mini plug - it is a 6' cable and it is about half the cost.

Am I missing something?
If the CM-1 is a genuine Sennheiser part it *would* have a locking mini-jack.

If it was made by Sennheiser USA it *would* have a locking mini-jack.

A locking jack is essential to prevent noise and crackles.

If it was made by anyone else - that's another matter.
Old June 30th, 2010, 07:14 AM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
The CM-1 cable from Pro Acoustics definitely *does* have the locking plug, you can see it in the picture.
Old June 30th, 2010, 07:18 AM   #21
Major Player

Very different photo at B&H:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/310613-REG/Sennheiser_CM1.html
Old July 6th, 2010, 06:22 AM   #22
Major Player

Quote:
I guess it's not a Sennheiser CM1, but one made up by B&H or Sennheiser USA.

Sennheiser did not make his cable at the start and it was made up by the local Sennheiser agent as required. I suspect that the demand and the request from Sennheiser agents for Sennheiser to make one eventually prompted them to make such a cable - and the B&H photo is the old one - just a guess.
Old July 6th, 2010, 12:37 PM   #23
Inner Circle

B&H does not make any cables AFAIK, That's not to say an outside third-party vender didn't.
I'll mention the error to the pro-audio dept. manager next time I'm around there.
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2010, 01:08 PM   #24
Regular Crew

I have the Sennheiser EW100 G3 Wireless ENG Kit
(http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/641012-REG/Sennheiser_EW100_G3_Wireless_ENG.html) and I had a few really simple/basic questions that I am curious about...

1. If I could stick my shotgun mic (rode ntg2, powered by a AA battery) on top of a boom pole, why not do it and not have to worry about the wires getting tripped over?? I feel like something is bad about this considering that you never see anyone doing it... is it a loss of quality? higher fail rate? a murphy's law preventative measure?

2. When hooking the receiver into my camera, what should I set the input setting too? "Line" "Mic" or "Mic +48v" When I use the "line" setting, I can't hear anything. But between the mic and mic 48v settings there is some difference, Which is the correct one?

3. Is there anyway to simultaneously use the "SKP100 G3 Plug-in Transmitter" and the "SK100 G3 Bodypack Transmitter" with the "EK100 G3 Receiver"?

Thanks everyone!
Nick Popa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2010, 10:30 PM   #25
Major Player

1. You could do it, I have done it, but wireless always has the possibility of interference and dropouts.
2. See this video:
3. No. You would need two receivers on different channels.
Edward Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2010, 12:54 AM   #26
Regular Crew

Thanks Edward, that is some awesome information and a great video... but it doesn't actually answer my second question being.....
"When hooking the receiver into my camera, what should I set the input setting too? "Line" "Mic" or "Mic +48v" When I use the "line" setting, I can't hear anything. But between the mic and mic 48v settings there is some difference, Which is the correct one?"

And remember that is the Sennheiser EW100 G3 Wireless ENG Kit (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/641012-REG/Sennheiser_EW100_G3_Wireless_ENG.html)
Old July 8th, 2010, 09:27 AM   #27
Inner Circle

1. Yeah, that would work ... but.. how are you going to monitor what your doing? No problem for a stationary mic on a stand, but then what the point?

2. Select 'Mic' (w/ no attenuation). Set the AF level on the receiver to -18. This yields a strong mic-level signal with adequate head-room. Assuming the transmitter's sensitivity is setting is correct.

3. NO, but you can use one transmitter and two receivers.(or more) For instance sending the same audio to two or more cameras.
Rick Reineke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2010, 11:02 AM   #28
Major Player

Well you absolutely don't need 40 volt phantom power. That's for condenser mics without batteries, like a shotgun. My G2 system is set up with -12 dB AF Out, running into my camera at mic level.
Edward Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2010, 02:17 PM   #29
Regular Crew

Thanks guys!
But one more beginner question, When DO you use the "line" setting on the camera? I always used mic or mic48v for everything and never line. Even when getting mixer signals (which is when I would have assumed you would use it). Thanks again
Old July 8th, 2010, 02:49 PM   #30
Major Player

Actual Test Connecting a Dynamic Mic to G3 Transmitter

Well, got my bit and pieces and here's my first hand experience...

When the tip of the 3.5mm jack is connected to pin 2 of the xlr and the sleeve is connected to pin 1 & 3 and the ring is not connected, a dynamic microphone such as my Shure VP64A, the level is too low to use. (This would be the CM1 wiring)

When the ring of the 3.5mm jack is connected to pin 2 of the xlr and the sleeve is connected to pin 1 & 3 and the tip is not connected, the level from my dynamic microphone is very good. (This is how the CL2 is wired.)

The CL1 cable that comes with the Sennheiser camera set (3.5mm locking to 3.5mm angle) is something I will not be using, has all three conductors coming from locking jack. So you could make your own cable if you don't think you'll use this cable.

fyi, I've been an electrical contractor for 22 years and an electrician for 10 years before that. I've designed many electrical systems - so I know a bit about wiring...
Kevin Spahr is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > All Things Audio